• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

recommendation?

RustyRed

I'm thinking of buying the Mustang some subframe connectors as a b-day present "from the boys" to me.

Anyone have any recommendations...any particular brand better than others?

I have TCP, other than not having a notch for the fuel line, no issues. Good quality and fit. I think the maier racing ones are round and probably give more ground clearance.

Tinman connectors are probably the most economical and most rigid of the ones available for purchase.

"buening" said:
Tinman connectors are probably the most economical and most rigid of the ones available for purchase.

I've debated them before but I am not wild about the idea of chopping the ends off my front frame rails.

You could trim the length that goes into the rail ends, then get some steel plate and weld plates on the sides of the connectors and rails to fuse them together. Just an idea

"buening" said:
You could trim the length that goes into the rail ends, then get some steel plate and weld plates on the sides of the connectors and rails to fuse them together. Just an idea

Personally, I think that would take away some of he effectiveness on the TinMan connectors. They slide INTO the front frame rail, get plug welded with 2 large welds, them a final weld around the end of the frame rail. This pretty much makes them a permanent extension of the frame rails.

The difference between the day before my TinMan connectors went on and the day they went on is NIGHT AND DAY! I HIGHLY recommend them, and installing them according to SPECS.

I have the Maier Racing sfc's, and I really like how they mount at 2 points, both in the front and rear.

Like JohnPro said, there was a huge difference in ride stiffness after installing sbc's.

Personally, I think Maier's round tubing doesn't have as much torsional flex as square tubing. However, I've seen a few people make their own sbc's by welding square tubing in both frame rails AND all along the entire length of the floor pan (even intersecting into the rear floor pan), which probably has even more support strength than Maier's, TCP's or Tinman's sbc's.

Whatever way you go, it's a great modification.

"johnpro" said:
Personally, I think that would take away some of he effectiveness on the TinMan connectors. They slide INTO the front frame rail, get plug welded with 2 large welds, them a final weld around the end of the frame rail. This pretty much makes them a permanent extension of the frame rails.

The difference between the day before my TinMan connectors went on and the day they went on is NIGHT AND DAY! I HIGHLY recommend them, and installing them according to SPECS.

It would definitely take away from the rigidity of the Tinmans, but was just another option since the OP stated he didn't want to cut the ends of his frame rails off.

"RustyRed" said:
I've debated them before but I am not wild about the idea of chopping the ends off my front frame rails.
If you're going to weld on connectors you are already modding the framework. opening the ends of the front rails and inserting the TinMan's is by far the most "stock" looking installation. It's also one of, if not the best, structural designs.
If you ever did want to go back to a pure stock arrangement, it wouldn't be anymore difficult to weld on a patch to the rear of the rails than it would be to cut off the connectors, grind down the welds, etc. that you would have to do with any other installation.

In case you had any doubts...+1 on the TinMan's

Ok, you've got me considering them again.

One other issue though...in the past someone appears to have gone a bit nuts with a floor jack (or ran it over a curve, not sure) and I know at least one of my frame rails is dented in a bit. Any thoughts on how I might straighten out the dent if needed? Thinking the dent might make sliding something in there kind of difficult...

"RustyRed" said:

One other issue though...in the past someone appears to have gone a bit nuts with a floor jack (or ran it over a curve, not sure) and I know at least one of my frame rails is dented in a bit. Any thoughts on how I might straighten out the dent if needed? Thinking the dent might make sliding something in there kind of difficult...

My frame rails were a mess when I purchased my car... tons of dents and even a crack on one. I purchased some 2" wide x 3/16" thick flat mild steel and welded it along the bottom of the frame rails. Each piece of flat stock was 12" to 16" in length, depending on how much frame rail was damaged. This did two things... it cleaned up the crappy, beat up frame rails, and more importantly, it added some strength and better mounting surface for the SBC's.

"RustyRed" said:

Given the nature of how a dent is formed (gradual bend), sliding the connector end into the rail will likely just push out the indented area of the rail. The TinMan connector is not a "press fit" into the rail. There is a bit of room so I don't think you'd have any issues.

"Horseplay" said:
Given the nature of how a dent is formed (gradual bend), sliding the connector end into the rail will likely just push out the indented area of the rail. The TinMan connector is not a "press fit" into the rail. There is a bit of room so I don't think you'd have any issues.

+1

I doubt you'd have any problems, and if you did, you could use the sbf to help straighten the frame rails.

Rusty how are your fab skills? You could make your own like Buckeye did on his car. Pretty impressive work and it really looks like a full framed car

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the dents are pretty ugly and do interfere with the connectors, you can use my stud welder to weld studs on the rails and straighten them out before you weld them in.

"buening" said:
Rusty how are your fab skills? You could make your own like Buckeye did on his car. Pretty impressive work and it really looks like a full framed car
buening, That's beautiful!

I went with Competition Engineering SFC's but they go through the floor boards. If you don't like the idea of cutting your frame you really wouldn't like these.
72_17_03_09_5_38_26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting in on this thread kinda late, but just thought I'd throw in a plug for Day's homemade connectors. Pretty much the same as the Tinman's (I wonder which was first), but by fabbing them yourself, you get a little leeway in fitment.

Back