• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Recommendations - HEI Distributor (coil in cap)

Reply just received from the Cam manufacturer.

Hi Tony, We generally prefer to use a melonised gear as it does not have issues with the cam billet. Really not sure on this brands gear so cannot say if it will be ok or not.

Not sure that's a definitive answer.

Tony,

If you are that concerned just buy a composite dizzy gear. Shouldn't be difficult to source. Brand won't matter. Just get the right bore diameter to match the distributor shaft. Before removing the current gear be sure to measure it's mounting height so you can get the new one to match on installation. You'll probably have to re-drill the gear pin hole at 90 degrees and up/down the shaft a bit as well. Not terribly difficult.

Reply just received from the Cam manufacturer.

Hi Tony, We generally prefer to use a melonised gear as it does not have issues with the cam billet. Really not sure on this brands gear so cannot say if it will be ok or not.

Not sure that's a definitive answer.
Yours is a flat tappet right? Cast? Not billet roller? If so, between the lines they are saying hardened steel will work. His use of the word billet is just to describe the blank they grind from. Melonized is a surface coating put on hardened steel material. It creates a smoother, cleaner surface to help eliminate wear. All my research and sources said its only required for true billet roller cams. I'd surmise its because of many factors like the high ramp rates and spring pressures they utilize as compared to old school grinds.

You will never get any company to officially say its good. They are all scared of lawsuits!

Terry

Yes mine is flat tappet. I agree I read the reference to billet as just being the standard blank. But the words "it's our preference" instead of no don't use it, made me think the same as you.

Good idea on the composite alternate and have already thrown out some enquiries as to what options there are.

Again thanks for the help.

Measure you dizzy shaft. Should be .467" Comp has a composite gear. Summit has them in stock for $120 USD. Ouch! I will look for other sources

The shaft diameter is 0.50"/ 10mm. I could just get a brass one from pretronix but I know it won't last long. Might be a good short term fix though

Do you know if GM gears have the same cut profile as the SBF? There are obviously a lot more options out there for GM.

Last edited:
I have no idea about gear profile form one manufacturer to another. I would NOT use a brass piece. They are designed to wear and are intended for competition engines only. Only because they get tore down frequently and bearings replaced, etc. The brass particles will get in the oil and onto the bearing surfaces. Not something you want in an engine built for the long haul. It's either composite or the stock piece you have which, I tell you, is fine.

If the shaft is really .500" (measured with a mic or caliper) get the COMP composite pieces and have it bored out to match the shaft diameter of .500" and install it and forget it.

Me, I'd pop the Pertronix unit in and go but you could also do that and run the engine through the 20-30 minute break-in cycle and then when you drain the oil and cut the filter apart looking for any signs of problems you could also pull the dizzy and check the condition of the gear. That way you'd feel better when you see it shows no signs of problems.

Last edited:
Everyone I seem to talk too suggests the same, in that it’s ok to use. Might do as you suggest and run it for a bit, then check for wear.

I’ll give it some more thought.

So at some point I had sent Pertronix tech support an email asking about gear and cam compatibility. They just sent me this reply.

"Yes, our steel gears equipped on a D1352 distributor can be used with both Austempered Steel and Cast Core camshafts."

Thanks mate. I think I'm just going to use it and see what happens.

I guess they have sold thousands of these by now, so the interweb would be lit up with compliants if it was no good

Hey guys anyone have an idea what would make the coil pack in my ^new" distributor crap itself?

Is there anything around it that could short it out?

Back