• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Removing camera case stickers from AC center vent '67-'68

Jonk67

I finally won a decent center vent for my AC project next year but it's got the camera case stickers and I've got brushed alum. deluxe interior.

Is there an easy way to get these things to release w/o damaging the plastic vent louvers? I've got decal remover but it's pretty strong stuff and
I'm afraid to damage any other part of the vent with overspray or drips.
I tried using some paint thinner and a razor blade but no luck on loosening up the glue.

IMG_0971.jpg

Thanks, Jon

I'd try a plastic scraper. I know Eastwood sells some that are small for emblems and ttrim and such so maybe that would work. They are rigid plastic versus something that would flex with force. Of course you could try to lever a screwdriver in there too.

Thanks Steve, I'll bring it next trip out.
The stickers are thick and hard like plastic but seem to be glued on really well like a paste was used. It doesn't appear like making slices through them would make much of difference on making it any easier to get them to let loose. Just don't want to rush and damage the part.
Jon

You have 2 options one we have the 2 pieces from Mort Burton that glues right over what you have, or you could go to any hardware store and buy some glue remover. Rich.

Thanks Rich, I had planned on adding the brushed alum. pcs. like Burton sells but didn't want to glue them over the black stickers as I'm afraid it would give them a raised 3D look. That's why I'm trying to remove the camera case stickers first and apply the alum. directly to the part like factory.
Thanks again for all suggestions,
Jon

Yeah, the "stickers" are on aluminum. At least the one on the pass. vent that was mising on my car. I went to a junkyard, found one with it still attached and gently pried it off with a screwdriver. Glued it with epoxy onto my original.
I agree, take off the old stuff where you can. Honestly, if you plan on covering it use a flathead screwdriver and go slowly. Twisting slightly as you go.

Back