• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Removing overspray from glass

Depending on how heavy the "over spray" is, I have had success with fine steel wool, usually 0000 grit.

"DougG69" said:
So am I stuck using Windex and/or soapy water and a razor blade, or is there an easier way?

That is the best way. I have a fireplace door I have to use oven cleaner on with a razor blade. For paint you can also you some paint thinner and a blade. Steal wool will scratch the glass. Blades will also scratch, but if you are careful you will not have one.

If you use steal wool I would get a good glass polish and buff your glass out. You may not be able to see the small scratches until it fogs up. I used it on one of our buses and had to ignore it until I could get around to replacing the glass.

HTH,

Mel

Wow...I have never scratched the glass with the 0000 grit steel wool. You have to be gentle but it also depends on how heavy the paint is.

"AzPete" said:
Wow...I have never scratched the glass with the 0000 grit steel wool. You have to be gentle but it also depends on how heavy the paint is.

I've not had a problem with that, either. You just have to make sure you're using 0000 steel wool. Also, you'll get a bunch of steel wool dust falling down the windshield into the rubber surround. Make sure to blow that out instead of using water to wash it out. Otherwise, the wool will turn to a rusty mud down there in the crevice between the rubber and the glass. (Ask me how I know about that one. :ecit)

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for sharing your experience guys.

Bad part for me, the overspray is on the inside of the front windshield. Looks to be primer, light enough you don't notice it too bad until you get up close and look for it. You can feel it though. Fortunately I have the entire dash area out of the car right now, so I'm not afraid to get messy :)

A shop vac and air compressor is you friend!

On curved glass we use solvents and a plastic scrubber kind of tool on our buses.

Mel

Boys, I have been painting cars for forty years all you have to do is soften with some lacquer thinner and scrap it with a new razor blade and glass cleaner. Always make sure it is wet and you won't ever scratch your glass. Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
Boys, I have been painting cars for forty years all you have to do is soften with some lacquer thinner and scrap it with a new razor blade and glass cleaner. Always make sure it is wet and you won't ever scratch your glass. Rich.

+1. the keyword is NEW razor blade. if you think you have hit the edge on something, get another new one out & use it. a box of blades is much cheaper than a new w/s. keep it lubed good with plenty of glass cleaner. the foamy kind works well for this proceedure.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
+1. the keyword is NEW razor blade. if you think you have hit the edge on something, get another new one out & use it. a box of blades is much cheaper than a new w/s. keep it lubed good with plenty of glass cleaner. the foamy kind works well for this proceedure.

+2
If it's a catalyzed primer you might have some work ahead of you.

Also, denatured alcohol works very well to remove over spray deposited by most rattle can type paints and will not harm most adjacent surfaces.

I've used acetone to clean glass and plastic. Unlike lacquer thinner, acetone will not harm either. I used to clean overspray off my plastic lenses all the time.

"mustangstofear" said:
And maybe next time try a thing called masking paper and tape. Rich :ecit

LOL

Wasn't me!

Actually, it was a bonus gift from the previous paint shop, which I didn't discover until we had parted ways. The guy who actually just painted the car was quite impressed by their craftsmanship & attention to detail. Negatively :/

"mustangstofear" said:
Where do you live in Indiana, we are 90 mi. north of Indy on 31. Rich.

I live in the big town of Converse, between Marion & Kokomo. Probably a little closer to Ft. Wayne than Indy.

If you are the Rich I am thinking of, you might know where McCoart's shop is in Somerset. I'm probably within about 10 miles south/southwest of there.

Wow, I can't believe you know my buddy Mark. Man what a small world. Mark is about 50 min. away. You should stop up at my place, I have about 9 builds going on. Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
Wow, I can't believe you know my buddy Mark. Man what a small world. Mark is about 50 min. away. You should stop up at my place, I have about 9 builds going on. Rich.

When the company I work for had an office in Wabash, I drove right by Mark's shop twice a day, couldn't resist stopping in with all the Mustang action going on. He did a few things on the Mach 1 for me that I couldn't do at home in the garage, and he's pretty easy to get along with so I used to pop in for a few on the way home from time to time.

I wanted him to paint my car, but he was covered up for the foreseeable future at the time. He recommended you, gave me the website address to check out. If I hadn't found someone within 20 miles of me, I would have tried to get in the rotation there at your shop. If I'm up that way, I'll be sure to make it a point to check it out. Maybe if I get the 69 on the road I'll get out of my own back yard a little more :)

Muchas gracias to everyone for the advice.

Back