• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Repainting garage floor.

Sluggo

I was going to do it in porcelain tile but have decided just to re-epoxy it. The plan was to go with a rustoleum product from home depot. Tan with multi-colored flakes since I repainted the walls and ceiling an antique white satin(just a hint of beige).

While doing some research I found this site. http://www.epoxy-coat.com
Far superior product to any water based epoxy. The epoxy I have now was the same product the company used to use in our service departments. It is quite thick and has held up incredibly well through 4 Mustang projects. It has not been cleaned in 7 years. I just went out and sprayed some simple green on one of the worst areas and hit it with a brush then rinsed it and it cleaned up very nice. I may have to hit a few spots with undercoating overspray with some lacquer thinner..

Anyway, the aforementioned site offers custom base colors and custom flake colors I was wondering what black with red, white and blue flakes might look like.

Thoughts? Sugestions?

They swear by that stuff over at the Garage Journal Forum. Lowes carries it now too. If I ever get around to it, that's what I'll use.

"monkeystash" said:
They swear by that stuff over at the Garage Journal Forum. Lowes carries it now too. If I ever get around to it, that's what I'll use.

Lowes carries Epoxy-coat?

I was thinking of doing something like that in my garage but I'm concerned it might not stick. My floors sweat something terrible in humid weather. I was told there is no moisture barrier under the floor(plastic). I was also told if I applied an epoxy coating, it would lift and bubble when the floor tries to sweat. Anyone know if this is true?

"RyanG85" said:
I was thinking of doing something like that in my garage but I'm concerned it might not stick. My floors sweat something terrible in humid weather. I was told there is no moisture barrier under the floor(plastic). I was also told if I applied an epoxy coating, it would lift and bubble when the floor tries to sweat. Anyone know if this is true?

I painted the floor right after we moved in. The house was two years old but never lived in as it was a model. We etched the living shit out of the concrete and applied epoxy directly.

that sweat you see on the floor does not come from within the floor but is on top of it. My floor sweats here when the humidity is ridiculous. Never had it harm the epoxy.

I used epoxy coat on my new garage. It is great stuff. My floor is gray with black, blue and white flakes. I would do it again! If you call them and tell them you are a member of garage journal.com the will waive the shipping cost. They are great to work with!

i put the epoxy coat on my floors. so far, in a years time i have one spot about the size of a dime that chipped when i dropped a 10lb sledge on it, so it pretty tough. i also opted for the clearcoat for a little added protection. it's not as glossy now as it was, but thats on me with as much metal cutting/grinding as i have going on here. walking on all of that 10-12 hrs a day has dulled it a bit. plan on renting one of the diamond grinders to cut the stuff off you have on there now & if you get it at lowes, dont forget to go to the post office first & get a 10% off coupon :thu let me know if you have any other questions...

when it was new:
IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

I would not go with a black base with multicolored flakes. First, a black base will make it hard to find dark objects and the multicolored flakes will make it worse by acting as camouflage.

Why not save even more money by simply cleaning what you have? You did say it cleaned up very nicely with simple green and a bit of LT.

I feel inadequate.........too much welding, beating, banging (yeah) on my floor for paint. I've used Epoxy Coat on several nice garage floors and it has worked great as long as the prep work is done right. That's the key.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 149
"Midlife" said:
I would not go with a black base with multicolored flakes. First, a black base will make it hard to find dark objects and the multicolored flakes will make it worse by acting as camouflage.
I would add that the dark color will greatly reduce light reflection and make it darker when working under/around the car.

Re: Re: Repainting garage floor.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
I feel inadequate.........too much welding, beating, banging (yeah) on my floor for paint. I've used Epoxy Coat on several nice garage floors and it has worked great as long as the prep work is done right. That's the key.

I've done 4 cars on this floor. Welding, rotisseries, dropping parts, tools, etc.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Repainting garage floor.

"Midlife" said:

Why not save even more money by simply cleaning what you have? You did say it cleaned up very nicely with simple green and a bit of LT.

Good point. I went to the trouble of painting it off white satin and have 4 4 ft 2 bulb flourescent light fixtures and one 4 ft 4 bulb fixture all running 40w daylight bulbs.

Guess it would be dumb to make the floor dark.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
i put the epoxy coat on my floors. so far, in a years time i have one spot about the size of a dime that chipped when i dropped a 10lb sledge on it, so it pretty tough. i also opted for the clearcoat for a little added protection. it's not as glossy now as it was, but thats on me with as much metal cutting/grinding as i have going on here. walking on all of that 10-12 hrs a day has dulled it a bit. plan on renting one of the diamond grinders to cut the stuff off you have on there now & if you get it at lowes, dont forget to go to the post office first & get a 10% off coupon :thu let me know if you have any other questions...

That looks really good. How'd it look before you cleared it? I might be leaning away from clearing mine. I don't want it to be to slick and dont think the silica would help in the cleaning.

As said before , don't paint it black. :no
Use instead grey , green or red . Just my opinion. :confu

I would have thought Sluggo would only be considering Grabber Orange as a color,

with a big Dixie flag in the center, and a poster of Catherine Bach on the back wall.

"Midlife" said:
I would have thought Sluggo would only be considering Grabber Orange as a color,

with a big Dixie flag in the center, and a poster of Catherine Bach on the back wall.

I considered grabber orange flakes.

I wound up going with the original plan. Beige with the beige flake mix. I talked to Christine at Epoxy-Coat today and she got me all set up. She knows here product and has awesome customer skills. She answered all my questions and took my order.

Back