• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

seats with a vintage look

pjbbx

Hi all
Back to the 66 coupe thread that i started in the paint-body forum, i just realized that the reason I am tinkering so much around the interior and I never seem to decide on a color is because what i like is a vintage look for the seats. So parchment, white or black are all very nice but they look new and i don't want that. I would like my seats to look distressed, to look like they have been there for more than a few hours...
Does someone think that there is an answer for me on the market? Has somebody done that already?
thank you for your time as always
pb

Depending upon how distressed you want them, you could always go with a custom leather in any degree of distressed look you desire. I am not aware of any distressed vinyl option but I'm sure a local upholsterer could tell you if a product existed.

Maybe advertise for some nice used ones that someone wants to change colors on but hates to throw out good seats.....you get old look, they can buy new.

it's the original emberglo and parchment. But the car had already been repainted in white. I am repainting the body in highland green. I don't think i will get away with emberglo - parchment seats... I will try though if nothing comes up... Carpets and dash will be black and I am thinking of painting the interior in black anyway...

I did my front seats. I can't say how they hold up yet as I am not close to getting them back in the car. Others may be able to though.

so what procedure did you follow to dye seats if you don't mind me asking? Did you throw them with dye into a washing machine like an old pair of jeans or did you do something more technical? And did you get the result you wanted?

The dye is applied by wiping the seats after prepping the leather or vinyl. Be warned, however, that the dye will rub off with time by rubbing of your clothing, and will stain the pants and shirts.

In general, it is not recommended to dye surfaces subject to everyday movement; only surfaces that do not contact other material (e.g. dashes, door covers, etc. can be safely dyed.

I have to agree with Midlife here..... Seen so many dye jobs a bit later that were faded, wearing off, and staining the clothes. If you plan on using the car much, I would not dye them.

ok, that's also the advice i got today from the guy who is painting my car. He's done my dash in black but would not go for the seats. Another chap was suggesting that it is possible... but only if you don't plan to drive the car too often... Therefore not an option for me. Thank you all for your input.
p.

Back