• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Securing Knock-Offs

joesgt281

Shaun,
I got the A/R 427 Shelby wheels from you with knock offs.
I originally ran the car at the track with the KO's off just so they didn't come off on the track.
If you do this the centers slip back inside the wheel and rattle around and it gets course workers concerned that they'll come out. They can't, but it's a nuisance.
I'm sure that the KO's could be safety-wired on but just wondering if you've heard from others on what they did.
Alternatively, is there another type of retainer for the center cap?
Joe

Safety Wire
21167LJ_Gold_Spinner-med.jpg

lockwire.gif

Easier to see in this one
Safety_Wire.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh, good stuff!

actually that's two variations on the theme.
The 2nd one looks to have a little insulation over the wire, which is important to me so I don't mar the wheel.

Whoops, I'm a bit late to the party here.

I would either take them off at the track or safety wire them. I like the small hole and wire in that yellow Cobra pic.

"Shaun" said:
Whoops, I'm a bit late to the party here.

I would either take them off at the track or safety wire them. I like the small hole and wire in that yellow Cobra pic.

i'm always short on time, so pulling all 4 wheels to push the center out the backside is a pain.
i like the yellow version because it doesn't rely on a hole in the knockoff lining up with a hole in the wheel (or necessitating 5 holes per wheel and 3 holes per knockoff) since you never know where the knockoff ends up when you're banging it on.
shaun, when a person doesn't specify knockoffs on these wheels, what is the center cap arrangement?

Back