• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shag's got 3pt seat belts

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
As what I insisted and did with Red, headrests and 3pt seat belts for these metal beasts. Wife will be happy and might consider traveling with me to the upcoming MITM.

4_15_09_10_1_57_35_0.JPG

Though you can't see it very well the black retractor is against the rocker panel right in front of the lower quarter trim panel. Bolted through the floor.
4_15_09_10_1_57_36_1.JPG

Here's a shot of the upper pivot sash in place.
4_15_09_10_1_57_36_2.JPG

They look good Craig.

How did you attach the part to the roof?

I was considering the three point harnesses in the 65.

Mel

Craig, which seat belts did you go with, ie, supplier? Also, can you clarify more on the retractors bolted through the floor?

"sigtauenus" said:
Craig, which seat belts did you go with, ie, supplier? Also, can you clarify more on the retractors bolted through the floor?

Yes where did the retractors end up going? Did you use the old holes or install new plates?

The belts are Andover belts with a 8.5" sash. The sash is the part bolted to the roof which drops the pivot point of the webbing which is crucial for us less than 6 feet in height.

I think the pics I took when doing Red as seen below will probably answer most questions. The typical factory supplied holes are used for 2 of the 4 contact points. The retractor location is a new hole which goes through the flooring at an angle. You will see this in the link below. That would be point #3.

#4 contact point is the roof line. For 65/66, I believe there are no factory supplied threaded holes. Not sure even for 67. Shag had a threaded hole for the RH side but nothing for the LH side, thus I had to weld in a threaded plate. Thus as you will see in the following link, I had to weld in 2 threaded roof line plates into Red's roof.

Though I use Andover for the supplier of the belts themselves, for the best mounting kit for the buck comes from Juliano's Interior. All bolts used are 7/16x20 grade 8.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/439768049zvwqIy

"gtscode" said:
Yes where did the retractors end up going? Did you use the old holes or install new plates?

And yes Justin, I will make you a pair of the retractor to floor brackets, assuming yours will be in a similar spot.

"cmayna" said:
And yes Justin, I will make you a pair of the retractor to floor brackets, assuming yours will be in a similar spot.

Thanks Craig! I have all the pieces that came with the belts I think I have all the Julianos misc. pieces.

Thanks for posting Andover, I lost all my links to a crashed HD and couldn't find any co.'s that still add the sash part. I didn't see it in their options so I guess I'll have to call to request it added. I think the sash is needed for most any ht., I'm 6'1" and it'll put the pulling point closer to my shoulder ht. and keep the belt off my neck.

Thanks for the link to install pics too, those help a lot.
Jon

Justin,
I could not use the typical "L" shape brackets on the floor for the retractors due to the slope of the floor where I wanted to attach it. Thus why I made my own brackets.

BTW to all the belt pn that I've used in both Mustangs being black and using the 8.5" sash is Andover's # 8403B. $65 per seat.

Thanks for the pn, by the way, do you know the length of the belts and do they retract against the pillar fully (not hang in the door sill)?
Jon

The 67 model did not have a anchor in the roof so we use a 3/8 j-clip from NAPA to install in the factory hole, that way there is no welding. The 68 already has the anchor installed. You did a very nice factory install look. Rich.

"sigtauenus" said:
A j-nut to anchor a seatbelt?

I wasn't going to say anything but I agree, people had enough of a fit when Frank riveted a plate in place.

I j-nut gives nothing but a sense of security.

The only issue I have with Frank's idea is that the upper point pivots. Thus you need a bolt that has a shoulder which will firm up against the reinforcement plate allowing the upper sash to pivot. Hence the plate is actually never drawn tight against the inside of the roof panel. If the rivets get loose, that reinforcement plate can start sliding around.

I can't imagine how a J nut will keep it in place. Wait....keep what in place? Was a reinforcement plate even used? or is the upper sash pivot bolt going directly into the J nut?

Back