• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shelby GT500CR Painted it Real Candy Red

Here are a few pics. The camera does it no justice. This car was no fun to paint
main.php

main.php

Last edited by a moderator:
:fbomb me!

That thing is sweet!

Is it going to be done for the June show in your back yard?

Nice paintjob.
Whoever gets that car will be as flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

that looks sweet! the "fun" part wasn't painting it, it will be doing the assembly without scratching it :scar. i'll do candy jobs on the motorcycles, but try to avoid candy on cars. people just don't understand how tedious candy is to blend, match & touch up. great job!!

saw the write up in HOTROD :vic glad to see things going well for you!!

Yes I will be at the Midamerica event. We are a sponsor. I;m not bringing this car as its a client that will not allow it. We are bringing another bright red car we are starting next week.

the paint brand is House of Kolor. The clear is standox Y2K.

I painted this car twice. The first time it was pink :scar

"ClassicRecreations" said:
:rofl

No I wish that was the case but it was my fault. Not enough red candy which made it pink.
so it wasn't my wife that ordered that one?!? :shy :cry :rp

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
people just don't understand how tedious candy is to blend, match & touch up. great job!!

I can imagine what candy is like - I refinished some furniture, using dye in shellac (gives a much better finish and does not obscure the grain like stain would). Pretty much the same thing - dye the shellac, then spray coat after coat to get the color & depth right.

Oh, I forgot removing the first coats, after each peice looks slightly different :doh

"apollard" said:
I can imagine what candy is like - I refinished some furniture, using dye in shellac (gives a much better finish and does not obscure the grain like stain would). Pretty much the same thing - dye the shellac, then spray coat after coat to get the color & depth right.

Oh, I forgot removing the first coats, after each peice looks slightly different :doh

Pretty similar process. Candies require a metallic basecoat. (silver or gold typically) Since the candy is translucent, the basecoat needs to be perfect.
So if you can't paint metallics you can forget about doing a candy job.

Looks almost as good as nick's paint jobs!

J/K, that is friggin awesome....beautiful color :weas

I understand, "the camera does not do it justice". Candy paint jobs are awesome when done well. Most I've seen are "weak" or blotchy. But, if done right, a candy red like that would be my favorite color, period.

I would be afraid to drive that car, though. Sounds like the owner doesn't intend to do much/any of that, but it's his to do with what he wants.

Yellow can be touched up and you can't tell. A ding in that car would be hell to fix.

I remember the "fade" paint jobs that were all the rage 'round here several years ago. Pickups and Suburbans all over had them. Every time I saw one I thought, "Heaven forbid you get into a fender-bender..."

Back