• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shock Tower reinforcement

Sluggo

Since my car is down waiting for a new cam to show up. I decided to reinforce the shock towers and install my Opentracker
Roller front end.

Today, I took it apart and and welded in the outer pieces today. I will do the inners tomorrow. There is plenty of room since the
front of the engine is MIA.

I made templates from the BOSS and Steve (Sellersrodshop) made the parts for me. Thanks Steve :vic

The outer ones fit fit very well requiring just a little trimming. The outer edge hangs over the rail just a hair so I trimmed it back
even with the rail and welded flush. I only ground the weld at the rail.

You'll notice in the pics that the right shock tower had a pretty nasty crack in it. I knew it had a horizontal crack, but i had no idea it was this bad. Welded it up. The inner reinforcements will be plug welded to the towers, then welded around the perimeter. That should
keep it together.

My buddy Hago welded the crack and the inner part while I was fetching sandwiches.

I welded up the outer edge and the drivers side. We'll see if I get the same compliments when I post those pics :lol

How much does this help with the flex in the front end? I have heard of others doing this. I have seen where that area rusted out on other cars due to the moisture getting trapped in the crevice. I still have to notch my towers for the turbos but I am waiting for my motor to come back from the machine shop to mock it in and then maybe I will make a plate and weld it in.

"Sluggo" said:
My buddy Hago welded the crack and the inner part while I was fetching sandwiches.

I welded up the outer edge and the drivers side. We'll see if I get the same compliments when I post those pics :lol

I was about to post those arent your welds, i've seen you weld.....

"apollard" said:
Man, that was one nasty crack - I've got a small crack in the same location (~1 inch or so).

I bet it's bigger than you think. That's what I thought about mine.

"Sluggo" said:
I bet it's bigger than you think. That's what I thought about mine.

Are we still talking about welds here?

Please...please...please...don't show pictures of your crack. I don't want to have to go out and stare at the sun for an hour to burn that image out of my mind!!!! :craz

"66gt350" said:
Please...please...please...don't show pictures of your crack. I don't want to have to go out and stare at the sun for an hour to burn that image out of my mind!!!! :craz
:bart :bart :bart :bart :bart :bart :bart :bart :bart :bart

Like I've always said: there's two types of welders in the world. The first type can put down a perfect weld (see photo in post #1), the second type welds like me: a grinder...it looks like a giant turkey flew over my project and crapped on it...but they can make any type of weld look perfect with a grinder.

The placement of the plates is exactly how I want mine done... like a cover cap. I didn't have the patience to make the templates. And, I was afraid of the UCA 1.75" drop interfering with the plate. Excellent modification, Sluggo.

"Tony R" said:
How much does this help with the flex in the front end? I have heard of others doing this. I have seen where that area rusted out on other cars due to the moisture getting trapped in the crevice. I still have to notch my towers for the turbos but I am waiting for my motor to come back from the machine shop to mock it in and then maybe I will make a plate and weld it in.

Sorry Tony,

Missed your post. I don't think it's really intended for anything other than beefing up the towers. If they want to to try to separate and fall inward now they'll have to drag the frame rail along for the ride. It certainly will reduce the flex that the upper control arms introduce into the towers.

I'll be sure to let you know what if anything it does to the feel of the front end. That is, if it ever sees the road again :lol

I read somewhere that before welding up a crack, you're supposed to drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it from propogating further...

Any one know why these cracks occur? Is it suspension loads or braking loads (or both)? Would switching to a full coilover conversion prevent these from happening or reoccurring?

My towers have no cracks. Of course, I never want cracks. I switched to a coilover suspension up front and wonder if one of the fringe benefits is crack prevention.

Back