• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Should I pull a "Terry"?

should I pull a "Terry"?

• Total voters
I hate to tell Ya this Craig, but Ya see, this a sign of getting older. You want the comforts that come in the newer cars. I get it. My Vette has all the comforts and will blow the doors off my Stang. They don't call it an old man's sports car for nuthin.
I think its perfectly acceptable to drop in a 351W with AC. But then stroke it to 408, put on aluminum heads, an EFI and all the goodies. It will still bring a smile, and you don't have to live in the 60s with no AC. For the way you use the car it makes perfect sense, and you'll have it "made in the shade", aww AC. :cool:

I may change my opinion at some point but right now the nostalgia aspect, for me, kinda requires some sweat on a hot summer afternoon. Besides, big block is just...well, a big block.

yeah, While building a stroker 351W/408 is a cool option, it is not really in the budget.
Having already spent the money and purchased the parts to do the TKO for the 429 (nearly $6K), I think I will continue with the plan to put the TKO in with the big block. Some of that money spent is the trans, cross member, hydraulic clutch, etc. Stuff that I could use on a Windsor. But fly wheel, clutch/pressure plate, bell housing, motor mounts, etc. are for the 429. I just bought aluminum heads and cam and stuff for the 429 as well. I don't have a 351 either. I do have a 5.0 HO. I think it would be "okay" but 27 years with a BBF it will be hard to give it up. I do think I will notch the shock towers. That will at least make it easier to work on, maintain. I do drive it a lot and AC would be nice but to be honest there are only a few occasions I would actually use AC. Most of the time even when its hot, I am rolling along with windows down and its not too uncomfortable. Just on the Power Tour when stuck in traffic getting into venues and going thru the little towns at a crawl. The rest of the time I am happy to just roll the windows down.
With out the auto trans to heat things up and maybe a bigger radiator I can keep the big engine cooler in traffic.

That's sound like your best option. You would be disappointed with 5.0. one of the features that makes your car impressive is the big block!

As far as ac goes, you have to be able to cruise with the windows down to look cool right? Just get a fan and stick it to the dash.

yeah, While building a stroker 351W/408 is a cool option, it is not really in the budget.
Having already spent the money and purchased the parts to do the TKO for the 429 (nearly $6K), I think I will continue with the plan to put the TKO in with the big block. Some of that money spent is the trans, cross member, hydraulic clutch, etc. Stuff that I could use on a Windsor. But fly wheel, clutch/pressure plate, bell housing, motor mounts, etc. are for the 429. I just bought aluminum heads and cam and stuff for the 429 as well. I don't have a 351 either. I do have a 5.0 HO. I think it would be "okay" but 27 years with a BBF it will be hard to give it up. I do think I will notch the shock towers. That will at least make it easier to work on, maintain. I do drive it a lot and AC would be nice but to be honest there are only a few occasions I would actually use AC. Most of the time even when its hot, I am rolling along with windows down and its not too uncomfortable. Just on the Power Tour when stuck in traffic getting into venues and going thru the little towns at a crawl. The rest of the time I am happy to just roll the windows down.
With out the auto trans to heat things up and maybe a bigger radiator I can keep the big engine cooler in traffic.
Good call! One of us being an idiot is more than enough for the moment. I am just about drained of energy at this point trying to meet all my goals. As it stands now I will be turnkey and ready for departure no sooner than Thursday afternoon, best estimate. So off to Kansas with likely no more than a few dozen miles on it, tops. Should be interesting.

Good call! One of us being an idiot is more than enough for the moment. I am just about drained of energy at this point trying to meet all my goals. As it stands now I will be turnkey and ready for departure no sooner than Thursday afternoon, best estimate. So off to Kansas with likely no more than a few dozen miles on it, tops. Should be interesting.
Good luck. I hope you get it done.

If you end up leaving later I'll be heading out Monday morning to join up along the route.

I'm going to pull the 429 (to change the motor mounts and access firewall for clutch reservoir) so while it's out I will take it apart. After losing a rocker arm and others about to fail, I am concerned. I also built it almost 20 years ago and it has a few miles (hard mile too) on it. That will also allow me to notch the towers. I am thinking I will cut the hole in the radiator support out for a bigger/wider radiator at that time as well.
The ole Chevy truck is no classic Mustang but they have a following too and I think it will serve as my cruiser this year. I travel so much and often at short notice that I can't really plan how much time I will have to dedicate to the 67. I hate feeling the pressure that Terry must be under right now also. So I will just take my time this summer/fall and do the trans swap, go thru the engine, noch the towers, etc. It will be back on the road better tan ever but it might be next spring...

Why not transplant the Bobcat's 4 banger into the Mustang and give him the bigblock? That'll make each of you stand out even more.

Why don't you put in a bigger alternator, install a D.C. Motor, compressor in the trunk n condenser under the trunk? That would be very unique n wifey would be happy.

Back