• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So I venture to the Humane Society to adopt a cat.....

blue65coupe

:rof

Actually a dog but that was pretty funny. Anyway, loooong story short. We go to get a puppy/young dog that's gonna be at least 50lbs. Room for it to run, gotta be good with other dogs and kids, yadda, yadda, yadda. The lady tells us we aren't eligible to adopt a dog. Why???? They won't adopt dogs out to people that are gonna keep 'em outside!!! Her words include, "It's just like adopting a child." WTH??? After a few choice words for 'em I inform her I'll go find a dog that needs a good home. I'm glad their "big dogs" are doing so well living in a 4 ft cell. So, we got one from the pound. WTH is up with that?

What a....crap, all the words I'm thinking of will get this post moved to the old farts lounge:p

She's probably one of those pretentious types that owns a little rat dog and couldn't bear it being away from her for more than an hour at a time.

While I agree, dogs do need to be taken care of properly, and to some extent taking care of a dog is similar to taking care of a child, there shouldn't be a problem housing a dog outside as long as it has proper living accomodations for the weather (ie. shade for the sun and doghouses/blankets for the rain and cold). Half of the people I know with dogs keep their dogs outside.

LMAO....

So I take it you didn't go home with a cat?

I get the same looks/comments from the kooks around here too....

"What? Your dog lives outside? But, but, but what about the cold? What about the heat? What about him being/getting dirty?"

I always try to defend myself with logic, even though I realize it's a wasted effort. It's a freakin' dog. I'm not making my kids sleep in the doghouse. Besides, my kids don't have fur. As far as the cold, it rarely drops below freezing and believe it not the dog has never complained. When it gets miserably hot.... like when I'm mowing the lawn.... I'll notice the dog has seeken refuge under the porch to keep cooler. It's not like I'm making him do yardwork or anything.

What you experienced falls under the "sissy-fying" of America. This country has turned into a bunch of little girls.... up to and including the U.S.Marines. I noticed the significant changes during my last 10 or so years of active duty and it was very dis-heartening.

No Dave, no cat. I did however make a very appropriate remark concerning that while in the presence of Ms. Animals Have All Human Rights. Right in front of the desk where they sip tea was a glass "area" that housed about a dozen cats. My little girl was admiring them and talking to them and the lady made a comment about how my little girl seemed to love cats. I looked at her shrugged my shoulders and said, "Yep, but we can't get one." Her-"Why not?" Me-"I'd just end up shooting it."

Not that I'm necessarily THAT anti-cat, but the statement accomplished my mission. You would have enjoyed it. Some pretty good "communication" between the two of us.

Yeah, what is up with that? I had to go to a qualifying interview and answer a written questionaire before the Humane Society would even consider allowing me to adopt a cat for my kids. When they asked about prior pets, I told them the last one died at 14, so I think I have a clue about how to care for a cat. Oh, and they strongly urged me to keep the new cat indoors. Yea, right. You ever try and deal with a cat who wants to go outside? That cat is now 11. Not too bright, but he has avoided getting run over by a car all this time so I guess he's smart enough!! Then again, he likes Craig????????????? :naughty

I've had four cats in my life. The first was allowed to go outdoors and was hit by a car after only a couple months. The others were indoor cats and were perfectly happy. We had no problem keeping them inside. In fact, my last cat was scared of the outdoors. There is no reason for cats to be roaming outside.

I have grown up with pets and continue to enjoy them. I currently have a 75 gallon marine aquarium, a tree frog, a dog and two cats. The dog and cats more or less live inside, by that I mean they come in if they want to and they go out if they want to but they sleep in the house (one actually prefers the garage!). Only the dog is confined to the fenced in yard while the cats can go anywhere they want. They always come home. I've always tried to live in rural areas so there is little risk of getting run over. While they are part of my family, they are animals. As was said, try to keep a cat in the house that doesn't want to be inside! If they never want out I have no issue with that, in fact it would be great (no fleas). I have hadf dogs and cats that NEVER came in the house. I provided shelter, kept them fed and payed attention to them and they were fine. Again, they ARE animals!!!
It's a shame the Humane society wouldn't let an animal go to a good home because they don't "think" living outside is good for an animal!!!

I could say "there is no reason for cats to be roaming" but I won't. Every cat we had as a kid and the one my parents have now was/is an outside cat. No car deaths. Not gonna say none of 'em didn't die "premature", but none by vehicle. Cats have claws and skills. Anyway, I wanted a DOG. A medium to big dog. A retrosexual's dog. Man's best friend. A dog that wants to ride in the back of a truck, pee on bushes, play in the creek, and bark at anything that thinks of stepping foot on my property. A dog that is a family pet and wants to protect it's family. Ms. "It's like adopting a child" didn't think I'd be suitable. I guess 8 acres with trees and a creek poses too much risk for 'em getting lost or drowning. I don't know. I know a lady in a 1600sf house with two Great Dane's living indoors...with a husband and two kids. That's humane? Anyway, my pound puppy is doing just fine. He's about 12lbs and is doing ok in the 30* nights. I gave him a house filled with cedar and a blanket and am keeping him in a kennel (8x8)until he gets a little bigger and has more time to get used to the boundaries. My soft side may be coming out though. It's supposed to get into the teens this weekend and I'm thinking of cutting a 55 gallon drum, using it for a fire pit, and setting it next to the kennel for a little extra warmth this weekend. Not sure yet. Probably won't, but I'm thinking of it.

Yeesh, I think I'd be pretty frozen in sub-20 temperature, even if I had fur. But then, I'm spoiled, I live in CA :D

-----UPDATE------

I bought a puppy "heating pad" today. About the size of a frisbee that you use in frisbee golf. Put it in the microwave and it stays at about 120* for 10-12 hours. Comes in its own nice little pouch so the pooch is not on the direct heat. Made of some sort of plastic, non toxic stuff. Pretty neat little trick. My wife made me feel extremely proud when I showed it to her. I put it in the microwave to heat and went and showed it to her. Her reply (this is one reason I love her so dearly) "You can use that hunting! Put it in the microwave before you go and you can put it in your hunting suit or sit on it." Man, I love that woman.

Back