• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Son of a ...........

blue65coupe

Anyone else noticed the prices at the grocery store going completely through the roof? Dayum. I'll be starting a garden this year and not with these non-reproducing seeds either. One of these survival food banks with non-hybrid seeds will be getting my money. This is absolutely insane. I can spend $100 at the grocery store like I'm pissing coffee and the dogs have more to eat than I do!!! Hell, I spend money on paper plates and paper towels and don't have a damn thing to put on 'em. That's gonna have to go out the window too! My wife wanted china when we got married, well, we're gonna use it and she ain't gonna use the dishwasher either. Absofreakinlutely ridiculous. At least my beer is staying the same price.

Yes I have noticed it! We have worked hard over the last 2 years buying what is in season or on sale and have built up our pantry so that now we have almost 2 years supply. My goal is 7 years supply.

And it's just gonna get better. Oil is going up, so expect gas to go sky high, and that will ramp up food prices even higher.

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
Just imagine if they raised prices instead of shrinking package sizes. :rant :censored

Frank

Good point. Has anyone tried finding a half gallon of ice cream lately?

"daveSanborn" said:
Good point. Has anyone tried finding a half gallon of ice cream lately?
Actually, in many cases they have done both. Small quantities for more cash. In my business, I sell into just about every type of manufacturer with a very high quotient of food producers. What is really frustrating is knowing how much they have beaten down we suppliers on material/component costs at the same time they are raising prices to their customers.

"janschutz" said:
Yes I have noticed it! We have worked hard over the last 2 years buying what is in season or on sale and have built up our pantry so that now we have almost 2 years supply. My goal is 7 years supply.

Smart move I think.

Even a 40X40 garden will provide most of the food you need for a year. Be careful with the openpollinated tomato seeds, sure they will come back true from seed, but they are VERY low in productivity (waisted ground) and most will not can well due to their low acid content (course you can add acid). We grow a garden and put up half a beef. We advarage about 2.90 a lb for the beef and thats for steak, roast and ground beef and all the other parts. Nothing like the freshness of a garden.

It will be my first garden. Never been into it but I'm thoroughly disgusted with the money I'm spending for an empty plate. I figure if nothing else I'll have a blast nailing the crows with the .17HMR. Any tips you guys have would be appreciated.

If you run into problems or need suggestions for varieties let me know (what zone, soil type and ph will help also).

Here's the wife's starter herb setup. Rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, ad a couple others. We just don't have the room for a real garden here.
630106b5-4eb7-85b1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"67 evil eleanor" said:
If you run into problems or need suggestions for varieties let me know (what zone, soil type and ph will help also).

Uhhh.....Hickory, North Carolina. Yeah, I know. Gonna be a long garden season. Seriously, my zone is "EST" and soil type is "dirt". The ph in the pool is pretty constant. I have all the equipment I'll need but it ends there.

"blue65coupe" said:
Uhhh.....Hickory, North Carolina. Yeah, I know. Gonna be a long garden season. Seriously, my zone is "EST" and soil type is "dirt". The ph in the pool is pretty constant. I have all the equipment I'll need but it ends there.

You can take a soil sample to your county extension office or conservation office and have it tested for PH. I need to add lime to mine to make it fertile.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
Here's the wife's starter herb setup. Rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, ad a couple others. We just don't have the room for a real garden here.
630106b5-4eb7-85b1.jpg
I have seen setups like that in the 70's---they were growing "herbs" also!

Last edited by a moderator:
The prices are soaring and if you have lots of money then there's nothing to worry about, that is, until the shortages start, and my guess is that's not too far off. I was thru Hickory a few weeks ago on my way to Douglass and enjoyed the drive. I have seen a lot nice old cars around there (in the summer). It seems you have a base knowledge of what ph is and how to change it. So often this is overlooked until things are not doing well and the season is over. One suggestion I would make now is to buy up some "Fungicide" before the season starts as I am betting it will become hard to find once things start rolling (make sure its labeled for alternaria). Something like "Clevis" (a combination of Mancozeb and Myclobutanil) works well or "Mancozeb" at the least. Also you may want to buy up some pesticide for the good ole Colorado Potato beetle as they will be back in force this year and there may be a shortage of it also (spinosad works well and will leave some of the good guys alone). Anyway, plant the stuff and watch it grow, it's not that hard and will save you hundreds of dollars.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
The prices are soaring and if you have lots of money then there's nothing to worry about, that is, until the shortages start, and my guess is that's not too far off. I was thru Hickory a few weeks ago on my way to Douglass and enjoyed the drive. I have seen a lot nice old cars around there (in the summer). It seems you have a base knowledge of what ph is and how to change it. So often this is overlooked until things are not doing well and the season is over. One suggestion I would make now is to buy up some "Fungicide" before the season starts as I am betting it will become hard to find once things start rolling (make sure its labeled for alternaria). Something like "Clevis" (a combination of Mancozeb and Myclobutanil) works well or "Mancozeb" at the least. Also you may want to buy up some pesticide for the good ole Colorado Potato beetle as they will be back in force this year and there may be a shortage of it also (spinosad works well and will leave some of the good guys alone). Anyway, plant the stuff and watch it grow, it's not that hard and will save you hundreds of dollars.

A lot of that was greek but a pm with do's and don'ts would be great. Appreciate the advice.

"70_Fastback" said:
Sorry, I have not noticed the change is prices.

Because the WOMAN does the shopping for me. :roll

Some people wear the pants and have control of the checkbook...complete control. Other people have their periods. :roll :nut :no

Back