• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Steaks!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Moving to Tucson AZ required me to sample the various meats that I've come to eat over the past years from various supermarkets. Here, we have Fry's/Albertson, Safeway and Wally-mart, along with dozens of Mexican meat specialty stores. The two standard grocery stores have awful beef cuts: the sirloin I bought at Fry's were incredibly tough and unedible; neither have flank steaks or briskets or even cubed beef, except as prepackaged and wrapped items. So...off I go to Walmart, where they have a better selection of steak cuts: flank and flat iron. That was 5 months ago. Since relocating within Tucson, I sampled the same supermarket chains and about the same quality of meat: low. Off to Wallymart: I found flat iron, tri-tip steaks, but no flank or brisket. Never having tried the tri-tips (despite everyone saying they are the best), I had them a couple of nights ago, and they rival top sirloin in flavor and texture: excellent! The flat iron steaks are also quite good, but I miss my flank steaks and oven-baked brisket.

As for finding ground pork: nobody carries it fresh, only pre-packaged which I won't touch.

So...what kinds/cuts of steak do y'all prefer? Maybe I'm missing something else out. Everyone raves about rib-eye, but it doesn't do much for me. Same for t-bone.

Do you have Costco? Any beef they carry from Morton is great. We just had a wonderful pot roast, and we had a cut of steak that was marvelous.

Harris Ranch meat is yummy. Stater Bros. Grocery stores also have good quality meats, but they are a SoCal chain.
I have been grilling tri tip for years. Slice it about every 2 to 3 inches. Season to your taste. And throw it on the grill for about 45 minutes.

fd

Find a local butcher even the Carniceria will get you great meat. For inexpensive cuts of steak I like the Chuck and TriTip. For expensive it's Rib Eye or Porterhouse.

I use a Treager and finish on a gas grill so almost any steak is tender and delicious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree, the Costco beef around here is top quality. If you are fortunate to have a local retail outlet for Omaha Steak, their selections are also consitently excellent. Their mail order is also quite good. Last, but not least, is your local butcher who should be able to source specific cuts to your specifications. Besides Whole Foods and the Mexican meat markets, around here the local Italian family markets have old time butchers.

Randy did too. Remember those pink flamingos? They weren't just lawn ornaments.

This is one of the reasons why i will never give the Princess a reason to divorce me. I havent cooked a meal in my life and i have this great fear of starving to death

My sister's barbecued tri-tip is great. Apparently, it's vitally important to slice it correctly. I think you're supposed to cut it in half the obvious way, then turn each half 90° and slice in approx. 1/4" slices

Definitely makes a difference
fcbe20d2b065cc4f5de1d33066e53e31.jpg

Randy for fresh ground pork just ask the grocery's butcher to do it as you watch. Safeway will do this, just ask.

Randy for fresh ground pork just ask the grocery's butcher to do it as you watch. Safeway will do this, just ask.
My local safeway has it prepackaged, but I'll ask the butchers next time.

Back