• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stereo wiring

I seldom play the radio in the car, but have noticed that there is a noticeable whine when the car is running. Both the battery and amp are in the trunk. I assume I need to run a capacitor in the system, just not sure where I need to put it. Anyone else had this issue?

Make sure SWMBO and/or MIL are not in the car to eliminate any whining.

"Fast68back" said:
Which one by the solenoid? :wtf

Isn't there a condenser out by the voltage regulator for the radio?

I can't access a wire schematic right now.

PT Jeremy to get Aaron's email. A capacitor can eliminate some whine but the whine can also be caused by power wires being too close to each other...so I've been told. Not sure if that's 100% accurate but was told that by a radio head.

"blue65coupe" said:
PT Jeremy to get Aaron's email. A capacitor can eliminate some whine but the whine can also be caused by power wires being too close to each other...so I've been told. Not sure if that's 100% accurate but was told that by a radio head.

That's mostly BS IMHO. It's based on the fact that the DC from the alternator is "dirty" and *might* be "dirty enough" to cause problems, which is unlikely. The car audio dweebs have a spec for this stuff, believe it or not, and they spec something like a foot between RCA cables and the power wire. IMHO, the AC voltage in the RCAs is more likely to cause problems, but that's low voltage, so even that's unlikely.

As I mentioned, I have both the battery and amp in the trunk, both positive leads connect to the battery, both ground wires run to the bumper bracket bolts, one on each of the two bolts. I may try moving the ground wire to another location and moving some of the speaker wiring to make sure its not to close to the positive line for the AMP. Thanks

Back