• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stoplight Switch - ??

Gi-Ti-Up

I've been trying to figure out how the stoplight switch works ----- I'd like to test it? It rides with the brake peddle so I see no mechanical operation or magnetic for that part? So how might I test this switch? and how does it work?? Cheers, Bill Palmer

Its activated by the pedal. Pressure on the pedal puts pressure on the switch which completes the circuit and activates the brake lights. You could test it with a meter, but I would push the pedal and see if the brake lights come on.

Fast68back, I already knew that pressure on the pedal completed the job, Please don't take me wrong, but I still would like to know how it completes an on or off operation. If it's a mechanical switch, then it would have a plunger I guess. See, I don't know -- pressure on the pedal makes the light go on -- doesn't answer my question. Thank You again, Fast68back. Cheers, Bill Palmer

There is a small plate in hte switch. The rod to the master cylinder press on this plate, which in turn presses an internal rod to make the switch contact.

If you remove the switch you'll see exactly how it works. As stated there is a contact plate and a spring.... depressing the brake pedal depress's the contact plate, which in turn complete's the switches circuit energizing the brake lights.

With the switch removed, it'll be difficult to depress the switches contact plate with your fingers as it relies on levered pressure from the brake pedal.

Thanks for your answers Apollard, DaveSanborn, I kind of thought that was the way it worked but was not sure because of the pressure you would need to generate. Cheers, Bill Palmer

Back