• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Strange Engine Problem

"apollard" said:
I'm with Dave - my '68 had a rusted tank. Had pretty much the same symptoms. Changed filters twice and rebult the carb once before I changed everything in the fuel system. After that, no issues.

Wow, I'm not alone.

Well i think i found the problem. This morning as i started to disassemble the carb and give it a brakleen bath i noticed the rubber cap covering the large vacuum port was severely cracked and undoubtedly letting air pour in. ill replace it and report back with the results.
its always the little thing!

I KNOW, I KNOW. Take it from a person who DIDN'T want to rebuild a carb. It's not that hard. Buy a $40 rebuild kit and go after it. Just clean the whole thing out. Another piece of advice: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, come on this forum and discuss how much you do not want to do this. It's about as bad as posting a picture of yourself.

Pretty much everything - in other words a rebuild (clean was a poor choice of words on my part). The jets may not be clogged, but they feed the idle system. Everything but the accel pump feeds into/from the jet passages.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but when it runs horrible is it only at idle? If you press the gas pedal to get it up out of the idle circuit does it still run bad?

Send the carb to Duane, he's a professional now that he's rebuilt his 20 times :lol

"blue65coupe" said:
Another piece of advice: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, come on this forum and discuss how much you do not want to do this. It's about as bad as posting a picture of yourself.

A little touchy there?

I want to caveat my earlier statement by stating that replacement of the fuel tank, it's solid lines (and any rubber ones), the fuel filter and "rebuild" of the carb will assure you that's it's not a fuel related problem. It is possible that the problem is NOT fuel related, but witnessing "flecks of debris" in a glass fuel filter is a sure sign of this type of problem.

index.php

"blue65coupe" said:
You have no idea the belittling and abuse I took. It took professional therapy for me to get through that.

Bo dee frek'n hooo, walk in my shoes for a day.

Back