• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tachometer

I want to put in a tach in my mustang. Just something cheap just to see whats going on. How do you wire in a tach? Is their a way to wire in a tach to the wires coming off the distributor? I am using an 80's magnetic distributor and it has 3 wires coming off of it. If not, how would a tach be run in the vehicle? Thank you.

You can pick up a Sunpro tach from your local parts store for around $30. The tach will include the wiring and instructions on how to hook it up. If memory serves, it is one wire to the negative terminal of the coil, one wire to ground, and one wire to a switched light source for the tach backlight.

Autometers website has some tach installations instructions online.
Most common tach meters have 3 wires and are connected as 68stang289 described.

A steering column mounted tach would be a sweet addition. And of course, while you're at it, or maybe after the tach is installed, you might add a mini cluster pod to the bottom side of your dash which contains: oil pressure, voltage & water temp. Anything is better than the stock idiot gauges.

Thanks for the input everyone. How hard is it to swap out new gauges into the original gauge cluster? I've seen it done before but looking at the cluster off the car it seems to be a big job.

It was a fair amount of work, but I put all new Autometer gauges in a reproduction bezel (cluster) for my '68. Very rewarding at the end. Here's a shot back during the car's assembly era.

4_24_08_10_3_40_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find the instructions to do that? I wouldn't mind figuring that that project. I know that their are some places that sell a 6 gauge reproduction as well. But learning what size gauges and the process would be very helpful and appreciated.

Back