• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Talk to me about wiring an electric fuel pump

68stang289

I had a bunch of posts on this saved prior to my hard drive crashing and, of course, now I can't find those posts again. I'm finally at the stage where I need to wire in my electric fuel pump. I know they're noisy and what not, but I know the setup works with my motor and the car hasn't been running for going on 6 years now. The previous owner had the pump wired with speaker wire and to a toggle switch. My fear with the toggle switch always was, god forbid there's an accident where I'm knocked out, the fuel is going to be pouring out because he didn't have any type of inertia or oil pressure switch in place. I purchased one of the Summit Racing electric fuel pump wiring kits and the instructions are good, but I still have a few questions.

1) If I wire the pump into the ignition like the diagram shows, how do you prime the motor before starting it? Residual fuel in the line?

2) Could I wire the pump to a toggle switch and use an inertia/pressure switch as well?

I apologize for the stupidity of my questions. As Mid knows, electrical stuff is definitely not my strong suit. Much appreciated guys!

Back