• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Testing temp gauge

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I need to help a local Mustanger regarding his temp gauge and want to make sure I'm thinking (yeah right Craig) correctly. If I pull the wire from the temp sending unit, ground it and turn on the key, if it goes right up to hot, can I assume it is either the sending unit or the wire possibly being shorted somewhere. And that it is not the gauge?

See, this would be perfect for a electrical forum.

"cmayna" said:
If I pull the wire from the temp sending unit, ground it and turn on the key, if it goes right up to hot, can I assume it is either the sending unit or the wire possibly being shorted somewhere. And that it is not the gauge?

If you ground the wire and it goes to hot you have eliminated the wire and the gauge, thus leaving the sender suspect.

"cmayna" said:

I agree, an elictrical board for these types of ?'s, a drivetrain board, A tire board to post pictures of cars and the specs on the wheel/tire combos as well as suspension setup, etc. Maybe even a body/paint forum so 'ole Sluggo can dazzle us with his knowledge.

Back