• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The new Mustang Mach-E

Have to say this is intriguing. As I'm just getting ready to dive into the deep end of the flathead drivetrain build pool I can tell you the final figures on it are approaching $20k. Hell, the engine alone could get there. Having so many thoughts after reading this article. I'm guessing one could get there now on an electric set-up for about $35k. All in. A couple years that could well be $20-25. Even then it's over-priced compared to reality.

So would you go electric if it meant SUBSTANTIALLY quicker performance (like decimating 800 h.p. gas burners) at the track? Light to light? Imagine the sleeper potential/fun. Electric fat fendered Ford F1 anybody?

There is something about the sound of a nice V-8 during startup that gets the heart pounding. Sure an electric motor can outperform a gas rig, but I am going to stick with gas for the foreseeable future. I don’t have to be the quickest off the line, I don’t run it in the track. I drive it because the roar of the engine and the sound of all the mechanical parts working in unison brings a smile to my face every time.

That is not to say that I won’t have an electric vehicle in the fleet, but it will be a modern car.

Don't get me wrong, Ken. I'm with you on everything you wrote as far as the sounds and smells of a well built V8. Dude, I'm dropping stupid money into a low output (by modern standards) flathead build just for the nostalgic look and sound! I just am seeing the potential fun of a stupidly electric powered sleeper.

Yes, but many of us already have more horsepower than we can use on a regular basis. A sleeper could be fun, but my wallet may disagree from all the tickets I would collect. The noise from the V-8 reminds me to use the go pedal cautiously.

Back