• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The Rot...

Johnny M

I got my car up on the Rotisserie and i now have been able to fully inspect the underside. As you will see from the pictures i still have some rot to deal with. This was supposed to be sorted by the shop that did the "half assed" job on my floor pan and cowl replacement...

The area under the passenger side Toe Pan and drive shaft tunnel is rotted out but the shop have patched it on the inside. Would it be safe to leave it as it is or patch it?
DSC01178.jpg

I have a full floor pan installed and the patches overlap this area. What do you think?
I am going to install a passenger side torque box but want to make sure it is right as I don't want to trip myself up at this stage.

Then check out the terrible weld job they did between the new cowl and the firewall. Should i run a line of weld all along here or how is it normally done?
DSC01182.jpg

What thickness/gauge steel is used on these cars. I want to make some small patches for other areas.

I appreciate any help.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
The area under the passenger side Toe Pan and drive shaft tunnel is rotted out but the shop have patched it on the inside. Would it be safe to leave it as it is or patch it?

Well... it wouldn't be a "safety" issue, but the doubled up panels will trap dirt/debris/moisture and ultimately lead to reduced panel life. Lap welds are what you're looking at here. Lap welds are the easy way. Butt welds are the correct way. With a butt weld, the new metal is "cut to fit" the damaged/rotted area. All of the damaged/rotted metal is removed in this process.

With a lap weld, how is the underside of the "inside" patch panel primered/sealed? Normally it isn't.... which is one of the reasons why lap welds suck.

What do you think?

I would cut the rotted metal away and re-do the work to make your one piece floor butt welded, not lap welded.

the terrible weld job they did between the new cowl and the firewall.

Are there welds on the firewall below the cowl lip? Why? These need to be fixed.

What thickness/gauge steel is used on these cars.

Most of the areas you're looking at are 16-18 gauge.

"daveSanborn" said:
Are there welds on the firewall below the cowl lip? Why? These need to be fixed.

Yea Dave, Those welds are right under the cowl lip. Should I grind them out and run a nice clean line of weld along there? I know its not the "right" way to do it but to start rip it out to do butt welds will be a huge amount of work....

Did Steve replace your cowl panels in the traditional sense or did he swap a one piece cowl onto your car? There should not be any welds in that area.

It shouldn't be too much work to fix the lap welds. Simply cut the old (rotted) metal off to rid yourself of the "overlap".

Heres another 2 cents from me on that firewall area...notice that that is the area where the export brace/factory braces mount. I am betting that area became damaged/thinned/whatever and they needed to replace it with fresh metal. I know on my 66 that area is pretty thin from muscleing an export brace off and on a few times. Either way it looks like shitty work [which you already know] and I would probably just clean it up the best I could and concentrate on the floors. HTH

I also would like to say that you have what looks like a solid car and a great start to a project so dont let your head hang...

"daveSanborn" said:
Did Steve replace your cowl panels in the traditional sense or did he swap a one piece cowl onto your car? There should not be any welds in that area.

It shouldn't be too much work to fix the lap welds. Simply cut the old (rotted) metal off to rid yourself of the "overlap".

I agree with you guys, they are some of the worst welds i have ever seen but what is done is done and i need to fix it and move on.

How does the upper part of the firewall normally attach to the cowl? I think i am just going to grind those out of there and seal it up with a line of weld all along it. I can grind it down and make it look as pretty. It's what i had to do with the floor pan. It takes time but i dont want to start cutting sections out unless i really have to.

Dave,
This is what Steve (the greatest bollocks that ever walked this earth) replaced on the cowl.
DCP_4080-1.jpg

Johnny

"Johnny M" said:
Dave,
This is what Steve (the great bollocks that ever walked this earth) replaced on the cowl.

Johnny

Forgive my Irish (or lack of), but what is a bollock? I assume its not a good thing? When I first saw it, i thought they had just cut it there rather than drill out the spot welds, but it doesnt look as if it goes all the way across.

"Fast68back" said:
Forgive my Irish (or lack of), but what is a bollock? I assume its not a good thing? When I first saw it, i thought they had just cut it there rather than drill out the spot welds, but it doesnt look as if it goes all the way across.

Rick,
hahahahah have a look...this will explain bollocks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollocks

Johnny

So I did take it wrong, it was a good comment?

That's a load of old bollocks" generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion. Conversely, the word also figures in idiomatic phrases such as "the dog's bollocks" and "top bollock(s)", which usually refer to something which is admired, approved of or well-respected.

I (now) assume great bullocks would be the same as top bollocks

"Fast68back" said:
So I did take it wrong, it was a good comment?

I (now) assume great bullocks would be the same as top bollocks

No Steve at Piedmont is not a top bollocks but a total bollocks and I'd like to give him a kick in the bollocks......

Ok, guys....

Just putting together a parts order and after taking a close look at the lower rear quaters i think they need some fresh metal. I was just going to use the lower quater patch panels instead of replacing the whole panel. As you can see from the pics there are some pin holes at the very bottom. Above that they are in good condition.

Driver's side
DSC01222.jpg

Passenger side
DSC01223.jpg

Cj Pony parts have these panels
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000016e~Z5Z5Z5ACUYX~P24.95~~~~S2MH0ATKSD86473333214a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000016e

Has anyone used them? If so, how did you get on? Or should I just go with a full quarter skin?

Thanks,

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny,
I would just buy the bottom repair part. They come with a flange on the top but I usually cut out the metal thats bad and butt weld the new piece in.

Johnny,

The driveers side looks as if you could get away with a lower patch panel, but the passenger side has that large creased dent further up the panel... would the typical patch panel reach high enough to fix this area also?

"daveSanborn" said:
Johnny,

The driveers side looks as if you could get away with a lower patch panel, but the passenger side has that large creased dent further up the panel... would the typical patch panel reach high enough to fix this area also?

Yea, good point Dave. It might pay to replace half the quarter skin on that side...Anyone know how far up the CJ Pony parts lower panels go up?

Back