• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Thinking of getting a Tig Welder

68EFIvert

There is a local guy selling a Used (says lightly used) Lincoln Precision Tig 185. I would be using it for projects like gas tanks, welding bungs on a radiator and intake tubing so nothing really heavy. I know lincoln is a good brand but what do you guys thing. He is asking for $1,100 including the tank. Things I should ask him or look at when inspecting the machine? From what I have read it should be a good machine for my intended purposes.

I would ask why he is selling it, is it too light of duty, are there issues with it...? A bit of online reading indicates it is maxed out for 1/8 aluminium & 3/16 steel. The price is attractive but will it's limits meet your needs?

The guy called me today and could not meet me then indicated the price did not include the tank and gauges. I don't have the time to go out to his place and look at it now and I am not sure I want it with the increase price of the tank and gauges. I think I will end up passing on this one. It wouldn't be that much more to buy new and get a warranty.

I sure wish my mig would weld higher capacity so i have changed my rules for buying tools. My new rule of thumb is buy bigger than you think you need but do not go crazy.

"jmlay" said:
I sure wish my mig would weld higher capacity so i have changed my rules for buying tools. My new rule of thumb is buy bigger than you think you need but do not go crazy.
+1.

The price isn't bad even without the tank. I own the PT185 and had the PT175. I "upgraded" because of the built in pulser, but after using both, I wish I would have kept the PT175. The pulser is only useful if you do ultra thin aluminum, and honestly, think the PT 175 gets hotter with the 1/8" aluminum. BTW I built the box for the Stangfix roller tool with the 175. I have a hard time with the 185 even getting it to melt 1/8" aluminum. The upside to the 185 is that it can really weld the thin stuff, like butt seams on Mustang sheet metal. So you have to decide what your most useful purpose is going to be.

Well he accepted my price offer of $1100 for everything. Looks like I will need to learn how to tig weld. Hopefully my bud and member on here TonyR will give me a lesson to get started. :).

This should make building my fuel tank, intake piping and a couple other projects a little easier. That is once I learn how to use it. LOL!

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, I'm sure you will love it....with practice. Don't get frustrated, it's sooo much different than MIG welding, but the welds certainly look better. If you lived near Tucson, I'd pass on whatever knowledge I could. Practice, practice, practice.

Back