• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tie rod sleeves.. Aluminum or steel? And size?

JohnnyK

Figured I'd ask this here as well.. I need to construct some tie rods, and debating between using steel and aluminum sleeves.. Steeroids uses aluminum I believe, but I'm not sure if I trust that? However, the aluminum ones have a wrench flat in them from where I'm going to get them.. But they'd also be lighter..

As for size.. 5/8 be sufficient, or should I go 3/4?

I need to construct some tie rods, and debating between using steel and aluminum sleeves..

Please explain "I need to construct some tie rods" ???? Do you mean "make them from scratch"? What the heck are you working on that you can't use factory built tie rods?

Are you going to use the outer stock tie rods, and then construct "adjusting sleeves" to connect the outer tie rod to the threaded ends of the rack? If so, machine the different thread sizes onto each end of the sleeves, don't modify the threads on the tie rod to match the threads on the rack.

Steel or Aluminum? Hands down, use the Steel stock. Weight savings should not be a consideration on such small items. The strength of the Steel sleeves is much more important than any possible weight savings.

I still don't understand what you're trying to do.

"daveSanborn" said:
Steel or Aluminum? Hands down, use the Steel stock. Weight savings should not be a consideration on such small items. The strength of the Steel sleeves is much more important than any possible weight savings.

I still don't understand what you're trying to do.
+1
Aluminum is much more brittle than steel. If you whack the tire real good from the outside, you're likely to crack and break the aluminum, where a steel sleeve will simply bend and remain attached.

Why can't you use factory tie rods?

shit, wish I read this yesterday... Went with aluminum.. ;) The reason is i'm making a R&P unit.. But I went on the Steeroids site and they are using aluminum. I however went a step up. They use 5/8, I upped them to 3/4"..

Back