• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tilt column in 70 Mustang?

miketyler

The Cougar and other models of the same year are rare and pricey. What about 71-73 model cars? Can they be modified to work?

Thanks - sounds like those guys are interested in the subject. I joined over there and will see how feasible this is. If it were an easy deal, I would bet more people would already have done it.

So am told it is comaptible, only need to relocate studs for ignition switch. All else bolts in. I plan to try this out.

Definitely keep us updated! A guy on Stangnet/VMF mentioned his father used a late 70's LTD tilt column, so I tried that route and there was too much modification needed to get it to work.

There may indeed be more to this. But in the brief email response I got from one of the guys on Boss302registry, it indicated that only the switch needs to be relocated. Also went on to say another guy over there has built a jig just for the purpose of relocating switch mount studs. I dont know if firewall flange plate, or rag joint is the same but it is encouraging.

From taking my non-tilt apart and rebuilding it, there is a lot that can change but if I can pickup a 71-73 Mustang column cheap enough I am going to attempt it.

Am told easiest conversions are 71 Mustang, Cougar or Lincoln Continental as they will use same igniton lock switch. Also years 72-73 signal lever mech changed from the 70-71.

If anyone can help me locate a 71 year donor column from the abov applications, would be glad to do a full writeup with pics on the procedure.

Donor column is on its way. I see references to earlier models with a vacuum motor, and hoses, etc. What was that all about??

Thanks, I have the two donor columns coming. From what I am told, the 70 Mustang tilt was a one-year only design. The 71 Continental is similar but there are three changes required. The ignition switch must be relocated and the inner lock tube and lower collar must be replaced. Those two parts are 70 only design. The modded column will use the firewall plate, ignition switch, lower dash mount brackets, and turn signal lever from the 70 fixed column.

Am working with a guy on Boss302 forums that does these. He has a jig for relocating and installing the two studs for switch relocation. Also he sells the the parts for the conversion. Will let you know how it goes.

Where did you land the Continental columns? Be sure to do a write-up on this mod, hopefully others can duplicate it.

I found a Continental guy in Milwaukee. He may be a good source for these in the future. I just hope the tilt mech is nice and tight on these

I thought I would update the few that were interested in this project. I bought two supposedly complete donor tilt columns. Average pricing for a complete Lincoln column will range from $100-$150. When they arrived I was surprised to find one mostly complete unit and one parts column. Both were missing keys, and the parts column was missing turn signal switch assembly, switch cover, etc and looked to be screwed together to resemble a serviceable column. The seller, who presents himself as an avid politician and Lincoln Mk III collector was very difficult to communicate with and should not be trusted. The parts column is on it's way back to him now.

If you are interested in pursuing this you can use donor columns from 71 Lincoln or Mustang or Cougar. You should be critical of its operation and having a key is a plus, otherwise you must drill the lock to disassemble and inspect the unit. Once you find a good column, a guy on Boss302 does the conversions which mainly consists of three things. The ignition switch must be relocated and both the trans lockout tube and column lower collar must be replaced. Also, the input end of the rag joint assembly is different on the tilt steering shaft so make sure you at least get the upper half when you are scouting for parts. I have disassembled two of them and have been told that due to the design, these will always have a little slack and will not be as tight tilt columns seen in todays cars.

Ed does a fine job and offers turn key conversions or parts for the conversion. The parts are identical to 70 Mustang tilt and when complete, would be difficult to distinguish a modified column from an original. With the rarity of the one year only 70 columns, it does provide an alternative to adding the tilt option to your 70 car. Below is an example of his work.

Thanks for the update! What does Ed charge for these 3 modifications? I would think the lower column collar would be easy since it is held in place by a clamp. Trans lockout isn't an issue for me since mine is a manual trans.

I had attempted at installing a late 70's continental tilt column like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-79-LINCOLN-TOWN-CAR-STEERING-COLUMN-AUTO-TILT-TAN-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5196923cb1QQitemZ350418517169QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I found that the ignition key assembly has a different actuator on the end. I'm talking about the tip of the cylinder, which meant I couldn't take my mustang cylinder and install it in the Lincoln column. Did you find the same, or this may be an issue with the later columns? Mine was also a column shift and didn't like having the shifter opening in the column. I'm assuming yours was still floor shift

One other thing, does the tilt column still have a 2-piece column shaft like the fixed columns? I wonder if you couldn't reuse your mustang lower shaft with the standard rag joint. The lengths or diameter of the shafts may be different though.

We need pics when its done!

$250 for the switch relocation on outer tube and includes both parts lockout tube and lower collar. I didnt ask details but he also offers $500 turn key service where you send him the column and he sends you the complete unit. This may not cover additional parts or any repairs such as worn pivot pions, lower locking pawl, etc.

The lower collar is not the plastic cosmetic cover. Its the lower metal collar that attaches to the locking tube. On the Lincoln, its a column shift unit. This collar would be for a floor shift model and would relace the column shift collar.

Am told the 71 uses identical ignition lock cylinder assembly as 70. The 72-73 is different. I assume you are talking about the gear that is operated by the trangular shaped end on the lock cylinder? I would have thought it would be the same as Mustang? There is a snap ring that holds that in on the 71 Conti. My 70 cylinder slid right into place on the 71 Conti as well.

I think the fixed assy uses a one piece steering shaft. The tilt is two piece and has a u-joint just forward of the pivot pins. Will get pics of the reassembly process.

Back