• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trade?

RustyRed

I had someone offer to trade me a '62 T-bird for the Trans Am.

Not really a T-bird guy myself but it looks to be in decent shape, has a 390, etc.

Gotta admit it's almost tempting....looks fairly clean.

Attachments

• tbird side.jpg
    tbird side.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 135
  • tbird interior.jpg
    tbird interior.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 121
Might consider it.

Draw backs are:

No AC (or doesn't appear to be any) and that sucks bordering on suicidal around here in late July / early August.

Also not sure on the value comparison. Not sure the guy could get the $16k he's asking for it....seems to need some minor things. Think Haggerty has cars like that valued around $10-$12k.

The old birds had lots of rust issues. I would go over it very well before the trade. Otherwise I would do the trade.

"janschutz" said:
The old birds had lots of rust issues. I would go over it very well before the trade. Otherwise I would do the trade.

All the older cars had rust issue and Trans Ams are no exception to that.

Claims car spent most it's life in New Mexico so one would hope it should be fairly rust free.

While that is not my favorite year of T-bird, it is so much cooler than the Trans Am. The color combo is classic and will always be in style. I would do the trade as long as the car proved to be in good condition.

"AzPete" said:
So what is the Trans Am worth....? I would trade but them I like most Birds.

My best guess is probably ~ $12k.

Show condition they go for a lot more (+/- $20k) but mine needs a lot of little stuff....main thing being my paint while not horrible it is getting a little age on it with several scratches / chips, etc.

That said, I have a local friend with a '76 TA four speed car that is pretty much perfect. He's asking $25k but he's been asking that for at least 2 years now with no takers, LOL!

I would keep the TA. Much more potential in my opinion. Old Tbirds are heavy, slow, boring and grandpa mobiles. I had no idea there were this many grandpas on here. :whis

I'm generally most inclined to sell the TA and buy a Fox body Stang...maybe late 80's car but leaning more towards early 90's. Pretty sure I could sell the TA, buy a Fox that needs little to nothing except to be driven and have cash left over.

Don't mind keeping the TA just have zero time to mess with it right now. All it does is sit. Hasn't left the garage in about a month.

This weekend I need to find time to at least get the wipers working so I can get it inspected. The inspection ran out on the 30th. Hoping to get some time to look at it this weekend. Not real sure if it's the switch, the motor, a short or what.

Something about a T-bird just doesn't "do it" for me. It would be fun to mess around with for a month or two then sell if I thought it was worth more than the TA but they appear to be fairly equal value wise.

"68EFIvert" said:
I would keep the TA. Much more potential in my opinion. Old Tbirds are heavy, slow, boring and grandpa mobiles. I had no idea there were this many grandpas on here. :whis
You left off, bad ass cool looking and unique. There are classic vehicles and then there are old cars. I don't think anyone would confuse into which category the two cars in question would fall.

All that aside, do you really think a TA holds up over time in comparison? From a pure valuation standpoint there is no question. I think most people would see the fun upside to the T-Bird as well.

Then there is the "it's also a Ford" thing...

"Horseplay" said:
"68EFIvert" said:
You left off, bad ass cool looking and unique. There are classic vehicles and then there are old cars. I don't think anyone would confuse into which category the two cars in question would fall.

All that aside, do you really think a TA holds up over time in comparison? From a pure valuation standpoint there is no question. I think most people would see the fun upside to the T-Bird as well.

Then there is the "it's also a Ford" thing...

I think T-Birds are cool! :thum To me, they fall into the 'cool car, but not for me..." category.
With the '62, there is a lot of potential there to make it into a 'cool' car....
FL12_r234_01.jpg

4.jpg

A Gremlin and Pacer are also unique. If we keep it a Ford than a Pinto is also pretty unique. Sorry, old bird just don't light my fire.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"68EFIvert" said:
Would you say the same about 61-63 Lincoln Continental convertibles? IMHO they are a work of rolling art.

"68EFIvert" said:
Old Tbirds are heavy, slow, boring and grandpa mobiles. I had no idea there were this many grandpas on here. :whis
Hey Darreld,

Line 'em up with this old, slow grandpa mobile!

Seriously, not trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to show that not all cars are equal and to each their own. Hell, you're working on a ride right now that I wouldn't have ever considered a cool car but you've proven me wrong and it's not even close to done. So ease up on the old iron boats. We're trying to save a friend from the dark side of polyester shirts, gold chains and KC and the Sunshine Band!

Attachments

• 1961-ford-thunderbird.jpg
    1961-ford-thunderbird.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 81
Back