• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TrailerTrashTour’22

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
Goal: to tour the southwest desert of the US

Participants: KB3 (Ken) and SWMBO(Gayle) along with KBMWRS(Mike) and SWMBO(Joann)

Equipment: KB3 - Ford F-350 and Alpine 3650RL

KBMWRS - Ford F-250 and Airstream International 25’

Day 1: This is the meet up day. Met up with Ken and Gayle Beard at Red Barn east of Bakersfield, CA. Ken decided to bring an apartment building. Oh okay it’s a trailer…a big one. Got on the road right away heading to Tehachapi, CA. There we stopped at Khonen’s German bakery. A great deli and bakery. After lunch it was off to Calico Ghost Town in the hills just above Yermo, CA. This was a silver mining town in the later 1800s. Now a county park and camp. So after we set the trailers it was off to tour the town. So now its more of take your kids to see a semi-original silver town but still interesting. We toured an old mine shaft also…walking…all rock walls. Life was hard back in those days.May22 TTT 6 Red Barn SF.JPGMay22 TTT 12 Tehachapi KenBeard GayleB SF.jpgMay22 TTT 54 CalicoGhostTown SF.JPG

Day 2: Today was a long day of driving. 453 miles…a good stretch. We packed up and left Calico about 7:45am. It was very cold with a very strong wind. We caught I-40 and did the super slab for most of the trip. Only a few side roads that were still a major route for truckers. We arrived at Picacho State Park in Arizona with our reserved spots waiting for us. Ken made a nice spaghetti dinner for us and we sat under a shaded table outside. While the sun set we had drinks looking out over the desert and the Saguaro Cacti.
May22 TTT PicachoAZ 2 SF.JPGMay22 TTT PicachoAZ 5 SF.JPGMay22 TTT PicachoAZ 8 SF.JPG

Day 3: It’s a tourist day. Couldn’t help getting up early but the desert just before sunrise is beautiful. Most of the morning was reading and just lazing around. About noonish we headed to Saguaro National Park, the east side. Randy (Midlife) suggested this was a better tour than the west side version. Oh Randy lives in Tucson as does Laurie and AZ Pete. We made plans that after our cactus tour we would meet for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. We all had a pleasant meal talking cars and old friends from the way back machine. Tomorrow its travel time again…but only 100 miles or so.
May22 TTT PicachoAZ 12 SF.JPGMay22 TTT PicachoAZ 26 SaguaroNP SF.JPGMay22 TTT PicachoAZ 29 SaguaroNP Michael Joann SF.JPG

Euh...very very nice huge combo's !!
We don't see those kind of combo's here on the old continent.
Enjoy your trip !!
and sent more pics so I have a little vacation too !!

I see Ken pulled his house along for the journey. Great little getaway. I love that part of the country. I can only imagine the pain felt at the pump by you guys this week.

I see Ken pulled his house along for the journey. Great little getaway. I love that part of the country. I can only imagine the pain felt at the pump by you guys this week.
How much ? $4 a gallon ? Thats a bargain Here in Belgium... $8 a gallon.

We are thisclose to $5 a gallon here and its getting close to $6 in Cali. Foxnews.com has this map where you can hover and see the average cost per gallon per state. I paid $4.90 this morning in the western suburbs of Chicago. It's going to keep rising too. Damn Putin /s :D
gas.png

Day 4: Another travel day, but a short one….90 miles. We just got out of the gate of the park and we stopped…at Rooster Cogburn’s Ostrich Farm. Place was packed with school kids on field trips. We decided just to browse the souvenir shop. Ken got himself a nice hat for the sun. On the road some Ahole who was entering the highway in Tucson brake checked me. He was entering and I hung back waiting for him to go in front of me. When he finally did he slowed down then on the brakes. No one in front of him. Not good. He exited the next ramp and gave me the finger. Whaaa???? We arrived at Kartchner Caverns State Park and found our reserved spots. Key word there is reserved. The plan was to set up and go take a tour of the caverns. Nope. All sold out…today and tomorrow. Dang it….Ken will try and call early in the morning to see if we can sneek in but I doubt it. So the rest of the day was hanging in the trailers and then an evening of talk and drinks.

Last edited:
Diesel has been running between $5.50 and $6.50 a gallon. We actually had one stop where diesel was cheaper than regular gasoline, I haven't seen it like that since 2007! Yes we are still a bit cheaper than Belgium, but I am told that our stop in Death Valley we could see prices near $10/gallon. I am not keeping track of how much we are spending....we are on vacation!

It's just a 36 footer...barely enough room for two people!

I was at the Calico “ghost” town a lifetime ago. When I was in the Boy Scouts we made a couple of trips out there. We stayed at the military base and slept in the barracks.
Have not heard about Pete in some time. Moved back to AZ? What is he following Randy? Or is it the other way around. ;) So how is Pete doing these days?
Enjoy the vacation.

fd

Day 5: The day started hoping Ken could get us reservations for a cavern tour early. We waited until 9am and the word came. No dice. So we bagged that idea and set off for Tombstone. It was supposed to be close to 100F so we understood a hot day walking a tourist town. First stop was Boot Hill. Famous for the certain outlaws of the day that had permanent residence. The tour is self-guided with a brochure telling of each grave owner’s demise. There were a lot from a family called UNKNOWN. Big family. The most famous were the bunch of Cowboys from the OK Corral shoot out. Ken and I walked each row with me calling out the name and Ken reading the owners fate. Most were murders based on silly things…..Insistence on a drink with one or who was faster on the draw. Simple fix….you’re dead. Some accidents were noted…two of just falling off a wagon under the wheels….seat belts…always wear your seat belt. From Boot Hill we entered Tombstone. It seems it was Harley day and a lot were there. So we grabbed the first parking spot and walked down the street. Happened upon the OK Corral first and the show within and walked right in. Saw the fun shoot out. After that we walked the boardwalk and took in the souvenir shops. Lunch time was at Big Nose Kate’s. A tourist trap big time. Hey it was food. Had the worst burger in my life. We walked and people watched the rest of the street reading the placards placed along the boardwalk noting who was shot/murdered here or what building was there. Now there were 2 major town fires since the days of the OK Corral so most of the buildings are shall we say almost original. This was a town first and all the tourist buildings were real businesses supporting same. Back in the truck to head back to camp. As we entered the park we thought to check the cavern tour desk about a possible opening. Right now. So off we walked to catch the last tour of the day. No cameras are allowed so pics are only in our memories. It was very humid because Kartchner has kept this a living cavern and are very serious about letting surface air underground. We went through two air locks for entry. It was a nice tour with beautiful cavern sights. Back to the trailers and crank up that AC. Glamping at its best. Tomorrow its driving up through the mountains, north.

Was the burger worse than the one in Tomorrow land at Disneyland?

Hard to fathom it would be.

Looks like a fun tour.

Mel

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Back