• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

TrailerTrashTour’22

Is that the era of a sheriff called Wyatt Earp or something like that ?
Yes that family UNKNOWN is widely spread.
Here in Brussels , Belgium , we have a memorial of a soldier named UNKNOWN !!

Yes the Earp family was quite known there. Good movie to watch "Tombstone" from 1993 with Kurt Russell. Its fun.

Day 6: Travel day…only 301 miles, but mostly through mountains and canyons. Ken’s diesel was taking it easy while my gas 6.2 was screaming away up and down these little hills and curves. Stops for fuel twice just to make sure we made it without problem. Staying at a dull KOA in Holbrook AZ. One of the route 66 Wigwam Motels is here. Ken went back to get a closer look.
SF May22 TTT to HolbrookAZ 3.JPG

SF May22 TTT to HolbrookAZ 4.JPG

SF May22 TTT to HolbrookAZ 15.JPGSF May22 TTT to HolbrookAZ 22.JPG

Ken is not the only one with his "house" on his tail .!!
Yep , I love to drive diesel powered cars. They have more torque at lower rpm that gas/petrol engines.
Very suitable in the mountains or heavy/very populated areas with curvy roads....like Belgium.
Beautiful nature out there !!

Day 6: Travel day…only 301 miles, but mostly through mountains and canyons. Ken’s diesel was taking it easy while my gas 6.2 was screaming away up and down these little hills and curves. Stops for fuel twice just to make sure we made it without problem. Staying at a dull KOA in Holbrook AZ. One of the route 66 Wigwam Motels is here. Ken went back to get a closer look.
View attachment 34502

View attachment 34503

View attachment 34504View attachment 34505
That almost looks like a two-story house!

Just like Mark Meadows: registered in NC in a trailer that he didn't live in, voted in the state, and also in No. Virginia for the 2020 election.

Back to the tour......

Day 7: On the road again…Short day…Made it to Grand Canyon National Park. We had reservations for 3 nights and spots next to each other. Now camping here is mostly RV types. The campground we are in is all full hook-ups. More pure and rustic camping is available but trailers aren’t allowed. That’s good. So after setting up the trailers we headed off to see the hole. It is Ken and Gayle’s first time here. We were impressed by the amount of people hiking down..and some rim to rim. Others were running it. One woman coming up responded to the hardship of it and said ‘ah but the memories’. Hey I’ll have just fine memories from up here.

Day 8: This was a relax day. Joann and I stayed in the trailer and just went for a walk to the Market Place. Ken and Gayle went for a nice drive to the Desert Tower on the east side drive. They spent all day being a good Grand Canyon tourist. That evening was gathering in our camp chairs and talking the day over.

Day 9: Long lazy morning and then back to the big hole. We parked near the power station and walked around to where the mules were corralled. Then it was over to the hole. We walked the rim to the west for a mile…..up an good grade to. Great views. Then it was back down and to the main area. All the time we kept an eye on the hikers on Bright Angel Trail. This is the trail to take to the bottom. Lots of hikers and spotted two mule trains. One a pack train and another a tourist. That’s a long day on a back of a mule. Back to the trailers for lunch. Next was a trip back to Williams, AZ. Your basic tourist town cashing in on the Route 66 which goes down the main drag. We perused the trinket shops and had dinner at the Route 66 Café. Next were more shops then over to the train station to check out their steam locomotive. Next to where we parked the truck was a pie café….well we had to have pie. Stagger out of there two steps and into the truck. Back to camp. Ken and I checked on the weather for our next stop. Figured 110 degrees was a little too much…Death Valley. It is a great place to camp and visit but we missed the weather season. So we are going about 500 miles back to the Bakersfield area and then home a little earlier than planned.
SF May22 GrandCanyonNP 3.JPGSF May22 GrandCanyonNP 24.JPGSF May22 GrandCanyonNP 38.JPGSF May22 GrandCanyonNP 53.JPGSF May22 GrandCanyonNP 58.JPG

Day 10: This was a long day all basically on I-40. Temps got to 104. We stopped to stretch our legs, fuel and lunch. Proud to say it was the only day we stopped for fast food. I tried to maintain 65mph and we passed and were passed by trucks and cars. One Ahole was playing super slalom and I didn’t know he was playing as I signaled and moved back into lane 1. He passed me on the shoulder with my wife yelling car, car, car. Ken later said he was cutting back and forth. I never saw him until he was at my right door. Long tiring day. We visited one last time and said our good-byes. Ken will head home while I think we might head for the Paso Robles area for a night.

Day 11: We have a calm morning. Ken and Gayle packed up and headed home. Of course Ken was so used to following me he got very confused and started to drive out the entrance. I had to direct him to the exit……hope he makes it home.

Made it home safely, despite following Mike to the ends of the earth! I must truly thank Mike for all the hard work he did to put this trip together. I would encourage anyone to utilize his travel services for your next trip. Mike spend countless hours planning the route, figuring out the overnights stops (including exact camp spots to reserve), fuel stops, points of interest, you name it. It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken as I did not have to plan out one little bit. Things could not have worked out better, as was evidenced by Mike's expert planning. We covered just over 2,200 miles with no major incidents. Near the end of the trip my F350 started experiencing several instances of the notorious Death Wobble. If you have had the fun of being behind the wheel when it happens, I encourage you to go get a Ford Superduty and try it out. Somewhere around 55-60 MPH the steering wheel shakes violently from left to right, to the point it is almost impossible to hold on to. A bit scary when you just have the truck, add 15,000 lbs of trailer behind it and it really wakes you up! Yep, the truck is headed back to Ford later next week for it's second set of front suspension components. Thankfully still under warrantee.

My view for the last 10 days, 2,000+ miles:

tail end.jpg

Somewhere, halfway through the trip I had second thoughts about following Mike's lead. Would you blindly follow a guy that looks lost all the time?

lost.jpg

Back