• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

turn signal/flasher questions

Dne'

I've been working on connecting my flaming river steering column turn signal switch today. I'm having some problems. The main flasher for starters~ Is the turn signal flasher hot at one lead going into it and dim lit on the other side when not in use? and the same question for the emergency flasher. the little flasher looks to be original and was hot on both leads going in and out of the flasher~ I took it apart and it appears to be old and burned up. I replaced it with a heavy duty flasher and now it's hot on one side and dim lit on the other side when plugged in. I don't have any lights connected right now as the fenders aren't on and neither are the tail lights.

Before I had replaced the old flasher~ I could turn the turnsignal to the right and my test light would light up and same for the left at the plug where the lights plug in. When I installed my new flasher, the plugs where the lights plug in show a dim lit test light.

If I had bulbs in front and rear, would that make the flasher work?
dne'

"Dne'" said:
I've been working on connecting my flaming river steering column turn signal switch today. I'm having some problems. The main flasher for starters~ Is the turn signal flasher hot at one lead going into it and dim lit on the other side when not in use? and the same question for the emergency flasher. the little flasher looks to be original and was hot on both leads going in and out of the flasher~ I took it apart and it appears to be old and burned up. I replaced it with a heavy duty flasher and now it's hot on one side and dim lit on the other side when plugged in. I don't have any lights connected right now as the fenders aren't on and neither are the tail lights.

Before I had replaced the old flasher~ I could turn the turnsignal to the right and my test light would light up and same for the left at the plug where the lights plug in. When I installed my new flasher, the plugs where the lights plug in show a dim lit test light.

If I had bulbs in front and rear, would that make the flasher work?
dne'

Our style flashers (even electronic) need bulbs to work. In fact, some of them are so sensitive to load that putting LEDs in either front or rear will stop them from working. I'd put bulbs in all positions, then try it.

How the flasher works depends somewhat on the design (electronic or manual)

Thank you ~ I'll get to installing some temporary bulbs tomorrow! I did purchase the fancy LEDs for the rear and they came with a special flasher, but I'm not putting that in until I see the regualar system working!
thanks!

"apollard" said:
Our style flashers (even electronic) need bulbs to work. In fact, some of them are so sensitive to load that putting LEDs in either front or rear will stop them from working. I'd put bulbs in all positions, then try it.

How the flasher works depends somewhat on the design (electronic or manual)

Don't forget to add the indicator bulbs too. I think it needs all three on each side to work.

It does sound like you are getting some feed back to the light side of the flasher. The flashers are a solid on/off for the power feed to the lights. Sometimes, working an electrical system with temporary lights and things not all hooked up cause some real odd readings and problems.

I recommend getting everything hooked up, then follow Mid's info for circuit testing prior to power being applied.

One more question I promise!

I found out what was wrong with my flashers(it was me!lol). The blinkers work, the emergency flashers work(haven't tried the brakes yet). Here's my question: When I pull the light switch to halfway, the front parking lights come on, but when I pull it out all the way, the front parking lights go off, but the blinkers still work~ is this normal?

I'll be back!
thanks!
dne'

When I pull the light switch to halfway, the front parking lights come on, but when I pull it out all the way, the front parking lights go off, but the blinkers still work~ is this normal?

Yes. It's how the parking lights/headlights are wired from the factory. There is a way to retain the parking lights while the headlights are on..... but at this moment I forget how it's done.

All is needed is a simple jumper wire plugged into the light switch. I did the research for my '66 and Mid and I installed one some time back. Mid should have the info.

Basically, you remove the tail light wire from the light switch, plug in a jumper with two connectors on it, and plug in the tail light wire there. Then you unplug the front park light wire and plug it into the other plug on the jumper. That puts both the tail light wire and the front park light wire attached to the tail light wire plug on the light switch. All lights work as normal, and the park lights remain on with the headlights.

Back