• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

turn signal problem

"Midlife" said:
Ahh....that's a different set of wiring than what I was thinking, The fuse that keeps blowing is the courtesy lights and doorjamb lines, but it is still independent of the car in the RUN or CRANK condition.

OK, let's re-set and go back to the beginning. You have two problems: one related to the turn signals and the other related to blowing fuses.

Turn Signals: you've replaced the turn signal switch, and both left and right signals don't work. Have you replaced the flasher can for normal operation? Have you replaced bulbs with LED's by any chance?

Fuse Blowing: What do you see on the car that indicates the fuse is blowing? When you say the fuse blows when you start the car, do you mean when you turn the key to RUN, to ACC, or to CRANK? Have you tapped into any of the green/yellow or black/blue wires under the dash? For some 68 models, these lines also go to the trunk on the driver's side.
todays update i cut the wire that goes to cig lighter from hazard switch and taped it up out of the way and now the fuse doesn't blow when hazards on and i start the engine.
Still no turn signals which wire is the power feed for turn signals ? i have voltage at the turn sig flasher unit
i took out instrument cluster and all wires are still factory spec nothing been spliced into,however there is a yellow wire with black stripe nr ign switch that is just hanging loose comes out of the main loom.
Also there is a wire at the voltage reg green/red stripe thats a bit frazzled.
The bulbs are just standard ones.
Also my car has a/c

"GT350" said:
todays update i cut the wire that goes to cig lighter from hazard switch and taped it up out of the way and now the fuse doesn't blow when hazards on and i start the engine.
Still no turn signals which wire is the power feed for turn signals ? i have voltage at the turn sig flasher unit
i took out instrument cluster and all wires are still factory spec nothing been spliced into,however there is a yellow wire with black stripe nr ign switch that is just hanging loose comes out of the main loom.
Also there is a wire at the voltage reg green/red stripe thats a bit frazzled.
The bulbs are just standard ones.
Also my car has a/c

Aha! That says your cigarette lighter is bad, probably an internal short in the housing. That solves the fuse blowing problem most probably.

Yellow/black wire is the radio power lead, it is fused by the top-most fuse. It normally goes into a two pronged connector with the other lead being a dash lamp wire (blue/red); I wonder where that is? The green/red wire you're talking about: that is at the main voltage regulator, not the dash cluster regulator, right? It is also for the alt lamp and acts as a VR stimulator.

It sounds to me like someone has messed with the tach dash underdash harness to make it work with an aftermarket tach or some other modification. Whatever has been done sounds like a mess to sort out.

So...is this the original harness for a tach dash, or did the car come with a standard harness and someone has tried to retro-fit a tach dash? Or you have a non-tach dash with an aftermarket tach?

Power for the turn signals is the blue wire, output from the flasher can. Power for the brake signals is the green wire, output from the brake switch.

Output for the turn signals are the green/white and white/blue (front), and orange/blue and green/red (rear). You can check these signals by breaking the small two-prong connector (rear) and the 4 pin flat connector (front). The 4 pin flat connector also contains your main power in from the battery, so you're better off checking those pins at the dash cluster connectors.

problem solved

problem solved thanks to randy (midlife) i disconnected the turn signal flasher and taped up the wires that go to this unit then i cut the blue wire going into the turn signal switch wired that directly to the flasher and taped up the old blue wire in the turn signal harness harness,then i took a fresh 12v feed a yellow with black stripe that was hanging loose under dash wired that to the other terminal in the flasher and now my turn signals work.
i think the fault was in the loom blue wire was probably shorting out somewhere so all that is now bypassed.

Back