• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ummm...I'm not sure I like this feature

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I have a rental up here in central PA: a new Nissan Altima, with a push-button start. There is no key, but only a fob: open, lock doors, open trunk, and the obligatory Panic Button. With the fob in my pocket, simply press on the brake, press the "On" button, and the engine starts.

I'm sorry, but I'm a confirmed Luddite, and don't believe in keyless devices. It is so strange not to use a key: I'm not sure I can ever get used to this.

Why don't they make the fob so that when you get close to the car, the doors open automatically for you? And if you walk away, they lock automatically? Dumbasses!

Lose the fob, and you're really SOL. Sorry...I don't like it. The rest of the car is "OK", but I wouldn't go out and buy one. It's kinda plane jane with little redeeming qualities of looks, features, or go-fastness. It does have 4 cupholders for the driver: woohoo!

It's a rental car...what do you expect? It's a non-smoking rental, but I'm changing that for Avis. Seems to get decent mileage, though.

Whats the range of the fob? The northeast seems much more confined than most places. Seems like if you had the fob and walked into a Mcdeath for a burger your car would be unlocked.....

The reach is at least from the front of a Wal-Mart to about 8 cars down, past the handicappers.

I don't think it will start that far away. The ones I have had experience with, the fob had to be in the car for it to start. Wonder if it stays running if the fob walks away? Never tried that...... To me, just getting used to no key is the hard part. I know the wife would have problems......

To start it, one must press the "On button". How far away the fob must be to be able to press the button and start the car is a test for tomorrow when I'm finally sober...not tonite!

"Midlife" said:
Why don't they make the fob so that when you get close to the car, the doors open automatically for you? And if you walk away, they lock automatically? Dumbasses!

They do dumbass.......the rental car place prolly defeated that function.

Maybe Nissan don't have it. Yotas with smart key do.

The wifes Murano has the pushbutton start, but it has to have the fob pushed in the dash to start, then you can remove it, I drove it saturday on an open stretch of local road and it hit 120 pretty quick, I think I could have went 130 plus but I was coming up on a curve soon so I backed off, I don't know if there is a computer shut off on these or not.

"Flysure1" said:
The wifes Murano has the pushbutton start, but it has to have the fob pushed in the dash to start, then you can remove it, I drove it saturday on an open stretch of local road and it hit 120 pretty quick, I think I could have went 130 plus but I was coming up on a curve soon so I backed off, I don't know if there is a computer shut off on these or not.

SOUND THE ALARM, OH NO, DELETE THE STREET RACING POST, SOUND THE ALARM

hee hee

I understand this statement.....

With the fob in my pocket, simply press on the brake, press the "On" button, and the engine starts.

But then I'm confused by this one.....

To start it, one must press the "On button". How far away the fob must be to be able to press the button and start the car is a test for tomorrow when I'm finally sober...not tonite!

How can it have a remote start feature if you have to press on the brake pedal?

"daveSanborn" said:
I understand this statement.....

But then I'm confused by this one.....

How can it have a remote start feature if you have to press on the brake pedal?

Ahhh...let me explain. The fob has to be near the car for the ON button to activate. I don't know if I sat in a car next door, or left the fob two car stalls down and then would still be able to start the car. Would be an interesting test to see if I can start it, then drive away, leaving the fob two cars away. I wonder how far I could drive? Forever, or does it still require the fob to be nearby for the car to continue to run?

I rent cars every week and I had a Maxima a few weeks ago that had no key. You have a fob like thing but you didn't have even put it in the car. It had a push button start and if you got in the car with the fob it would start when you pushed the button.
I (or I should say my wife actually installed) a remote start on my 92 T-Bird. It would start from about 150 ft away. It was set-up so that if anyone touched the brake or gas with the key not in the ignition it would shut down. Also if no one put the key in within a preset time it would shut off. You also had a hidden switch that would disable the feature. There was also a safety switch we had to put on the hood so it would disable remote starting if the hood was open. It cost like $69 bucks and it still works. Got it at an Auto Zone I think. I've had it for 6-7 years now. I mainly wanted it so I could hook up the door locks and trunk feature because I liked not having to use the key to unlock the doors and that stuff wasn't available on a 92 Bird unless you had the keypad thing and you still had to punch in a code on the door.

Well, I did some testing with the fob. I placed it in front of the car, about 5' away. The car would not start. I moved it to about even with the front bumper: no dice.

It appears it must be within the car for it to work. BTW, the car is a 2.5 SE. The fob definitely will not open the doors simply by being nearby. You must press the button on the fob for unlock.

I still prefer a real key.

I geeked out and installed a push button start in the ashtray of my 67, but I still have a key-activated ignition switch. You have to turn the key to the "on" position to active/power the start button.

Yeah, it's a completely useless mod, but I think it's kinda cool.

23791070058_large.jpg

Back