• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Update: Freakin squeak still with me - go to last posts

Does it start making noise when cold or does it seem like the noise producing item needs to be warm? Does it change speed with the speed of the car or remain the same speed/tempo?
Does making a corner in either direction change it?
Does applying the brakes change it?
Is it only noisy when the wife is in the car?

Pete, If it was that simple, I'd just duct tape her :binkybaby:

It is not a consistant squeak. It typically happens around 25-30mph with no brakes on and after a few minutes of warm up.

Midlife, I will look underneath once again after I jack up the back end but I don't think anything is touching the driveline.

Do you have a dial gauge? I'd stick one on the front rotors and check for runout. If you're lazy/don't have one, you can take it to a chain auto shop and have them do a 'free' brake inspection for you (usually costs like $10-15 if you don't have any work done). It's possible the rotors are just warped enough to come into contact with the pads while the brakes aren't applied, causing the pads to glaze over slightly, which in turn causes the speed-related squeak.

Any more than .003" runout is out of spec for pretty much anything, and I believe thickness variation spec is anything more than .002"

Craig:
I'll trade you my "clunk" for your "squeak". Lemme know.

I didn't think we had a classified section here. Is there no control on these boards....... :rof

"AzPete" said:
I didn't think we had a classified section here. Is there no control on these boards....... :rof

OK, Mr. Sarcastic. No more beer in exchange for the use of my infinite wisdom and help in putting in a *ugh* tow bar on a Mustang.

If you trade the clunk for the squeak, then I will have to start over chasing a squeak. We have eliminated to much on the clunk to give up now. Just looking out for the best of the community. ~rey

Raised Red up again tonight to inspect the driveline and there is nothing near rubbing against it. Thus at this point I think it must be the front rotors. Last time I had them turned (14k miles ago) it was already told to me that these particular rotors will not be able to be turned again.

I plan to replace the rotors in the next couple weeks.

Back