• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Updated with pics. That horrible quarter panel to valance gap.

monkeystash

I am very much considering welding up the fugly gap between these two parts. It's such an eyesore IMO. I'm hesitant though, because I really don't like "custom bodywork." I'm just not sure whether I'll hate the gap or the custom look worse. What say you guys?

Re: That horrible quarter panel to valence gap.

I crossed this same bridge a couple years ago with the sons car. The body shop guys were struggling with the gaps and asked me what I wanted to do and I said weld her up. No ill effects. It's such a minor change back down behind the rear bumper that some "Mustang guys" I've had over to the house that picked the car apart didn't even notice it.

If you want, I have absolutely nothing going on tomorrow morning and can take some pictures for you.

Dave, I saw that Ozarks06 did it on a '65 coupe, and here is a picture. I wouldn't mind seeing it on a finished car, only if it is convenient for you to do so. Thanks. I'm fighting the same issue, crappy gaps because of crappy Chinese parts. I must say, I'm leaning towards the seamless look.

2971175_53_full.jpg

Ryan,
You can bet when I get to that point my "gap" will be filled. I cringe when I see an otherwise beautiful car with that god awful gap. I say weld her up

Is it a repro valance?

I did it on my 71 mach and it looked great. No pics. sorry. People won't notice the welded and smoothed piece, but they will notice big fat gaps and the contour mismatch in an instant.

I did that and shaved and painted the rear bumper on my 71 and had to point both mods out to almost everyone, including mustang guys.

Ryan,
I'd sure like to see pics of this gap you are yakin about. Red had very little gap between the valance and rear quarter. Maybe I need to fit Shag's valance to the back end to see what I'll be up against while he's still in the body shop. Is this issue caused by using a repro valance or quarter or both?

Is there any cons for permanently welding the valance in?

Craig, The only con I can think of is if you were to damage the valance it would be a pain to replace.

Maybe I need to fit Shag's valance to the back end to see what I'll be up against while he's still in the body shop. Is this issue caused by using a repro valance or quarter or both?

Heck yeah you do bubba! This should have been done back before the car was put in primer.

From my experience, the rear valance fit is hit or miss, regardless of whether you're using a repo piece or not. It seems that it was an area that Ford just really wasn't overly concerned with during their design. There is very little adjustment (if any) that can be made to get a valance to fit with even gaps..... it usually either fits "okay", or it fits like crap.

Compounding the gap problem is if the rear quarters were replaced.

Re: That horrible quarter panel to valance gap.

"cmayna" said:
Ryan,
I'd sure like to see pics of this gap you are yakin about...Is this issue caused by using a repro valance or quarter or both?

I didn't take a picture before I tore it off in disgust last time. However, I do have a picture of my buddy's car, and the fit was similar. I have repro quarters and valance, as does the car in the picture bleow.

53_18_10_08_8_32_41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

"Fast68back" said:
Didnt Laurie do this with trouble as well?

No, what we did was build up the valance and quarter panel so that they mated perfectly. We also did a little metal shaping on the valance first. We cut the filler with dental floss at the last stage to get it as close as possible. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to remove the valance ever. And, knowing my luck, it would have to come off.

Ryan,

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, these 2 short videos should be worth more. I hope this helps you in your decision.

Dave, that kicks a$$, thanks! It does look slick seamless. Decisions, decisions!!!

Is it off at the top or bottom, or the whole seem. Sometimes you can bend the radius just a bit and parrallel the seam. After seeing them welded up though, I think I will zip up the ones on the 65. A wiz wheel can easily open it back up if need be. I guess I'm like Ford, I never paid too much attention to it.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Is it off at the top or bottom, or the whole seem.

Yes! :laugh:

Seriously though, the repro valance panel seems too short. But, the gap is wider in the middle than at the edges, due to the arc shape. Pat gave me a few pointers today that I'll try out tomorrow. I'll snap a few pics too. Thanks.

Sorry Ryan,
But if the pics you submitted represent your issue, I personally wouldn't bother welding them together. I'm sure there are far more pressing issues........ And yes, if you get crunched in the back, replacement becomes a big headache.

I was able to make some progress today on the valance and have the left side acceptable. The right side however is fine at the top, but the gap widens as it goes down. I believe I will weld a long skinny wedge on the valance to make the gap uniform. That will allow me to keep the valance a separate piece, but also not look like poop. Here are some pictures of it as of today:

53_19_10_08_7_47_19.jpg
53_19_10_08_7_46_50.jpg

53_19_10_08_7_48_12.jpg
53_19_10_08_7_47_48.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back