• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Updated with pics. That horrible quarter panel to valance gap.

Couldnt he suck that quarter in a bit? I dunno maybe it would be easier to weld in a new sliver? I am sure whatever Ryan does it will look great.

I don't know about your years repo quarter panels, but the '70 repo panels are different from the originals where the valance attaches at.

The OEM panel has an indentation sunk in, where the attaching bracket on the valance can tuck up into nicely. The repo quarter panel is just smooth, with no indentation, and the valance mounnting bracket would hit the quarter panel, and push the valace away from the quarter thus create a gap similiar to what you are showing.

Since I didn't realize this until the quarters were done and on, it was not an easy mod for the quarter. So I opted to remove the old mounting bracket from the valance. I drilled 2 holes on each side of the valance, where the old mounting point was - but space farther apart. I threaded in some all thread from the outside and welded them in place on the inside and outside, creating 2 new mounting studs. I ground them down and smoothed them flush on the outside. Drilled 2 matching spaced holes on the quarter panel. This way I could have 2 mounting points at the quarter so I could really draw the panel tight and eliminate a noticeable gap. May be an idea to try as well...

But it looks like your piece is also short from side to side. So that may not be of any help at all - just wanted to interject my 2 cents.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"napaguy" said:
Couldnt he suck that quarter in a bit? I dunno maybe it would be easier to weld in a new sliver? I am sure whatever Ryan does it will look great.

Actually Pat, that is the first thing I tried after we talked the other day. I have this huge 3 ft woodworking screw-jack clamp that I thought would work wonders, but I couldn't budge it at all.

Jeremy, that sounds like a great idea, and how they should be made in the first place! I cannot believe the cheap, crappy fasteners these things come with.

Well then I guess you dont have much other choice. I wonder if you could ever find a oe valance that would be worth using?

I found an NOS rear valance in a junk yard believe it or not. It was in an old house trailer being used as a shed. Still in the factory red primer with the part number stensiled on the back. It fit great. The bumber was NOS too that I swiped off one of my many parts cars.
picture085tu9.jpg

Back