• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Urgent- anyone have a SBF block they can measure for my engine cradle build?

gsxrken

Hey all- building an engine cradle for a 351w I’m picking up next week and I’m stuck.
I’ve found some references to most of the dimensions but I need to know the distance between the motor Mount bolts (across the engine, not between the two holes on a single Mount). When I confirm that I can determine where to weld in my uprights.
Here’s a pic of what I’m duplicating... thanks!
B4A560E5-6B28-426E-9067-ACF92425E2D7.jpeg

I will look into that. Have a 302 block laying around somewhere.
So , distance between the mounting holes left to right for the motormounts. Right?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Something I made :

5fdb885e377d6f5fabdb4b966db566db.jpg

Last edited:
Did come up with 333 mm center to center.
You do have to convert to inch I guess

Just have to second those measurement by someone else too.

Done! Well nothings ever done-done. I need to check it at the machine shop when we pick up the engine. Realized at the last minute the canton 7qt oil pan kicks out and would hit my uprights if I didn’t set them back far enough.
I figure on placing it on the engine mounts and drill the rear uprights on-site to attach to the widest bell housing bolt holes.
I may or may not weld on diagonals to brace the uprights... right now I need the minor amount of play I can get to make sure all the bolt holes line up. Then I’ll assess whether it needs them or not.
8392A9E9-951F-4E7D-94F6-764767D3875B.jpeg

I think the L-shape iron needs to be welded with the L upright and outside . Like I did in my setup cause its gonna interfere with the block.

And you painted it to soon !! LOL !!

After thinking about what you said I’m afraid you might be correct but I don’t know for sure yet. My angle iron corner might contact the block before the holes line up. I did not think of this possibility- I was proud of myself for thinking that this way would be easier to catch the bolts.

Had an idea - can you measure your block again for me? This time I need to know the distance from the center of the motor mount bolts to the side of the block. This will tell me if my angle iron will hit the block. I have 1-1/4” from center of holes to the corner of the angle iron.

Ok. Will do . Notice that distance A and B are not the same on both sides.!!

center of the motor mount bolts to the side of the block = 20 mm
As your image shows :
Left side , angle iron should not be longer then 10 mm from center front bolt hole
Right side is 20 mm due to oilfilter flange.
Hope this will help.

Thanks for asking- and thanks to your help it worked out nicely. I had to get smaller angle iron and rotate them as you suggested. The engine was safely transported 18 hours to GA and is already between the shock towers.

Glad I could be any kind of help.
I see this engine has AFR heads.
What are the specs of this engine ?

How did the 351W pro-flo4 system worked out for you ? Any problems ?

Back