• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vario-centric Camber Kit

"opentrackerSteve" said:
I got my pro motorsports kit installed. Last Saturday, I got the car down to the alignment shop and they aligned it to:

camber: -2.7 deg on both sides
caster: +2.1 degrees on both sides
toe: 1/8 in

I'll throw a kink at you....try some toe OUT when you go to the track. +1/8"- +1/4" and you'll see it helps turn in. I'm running + 1/4" and it has no ill side effects at high straight line speeds.

Fellers -- I realize this is an old thread, and I also know that ProMotorsports/Dr Gas no longer makes the Vario-Centric kit for 65-66 cars but I need some alignment advice for my 66 FB.

I'm blowing the cobwebs off my car after having it off the road for the last couple of year. One of the first orders of business is to get the steering and suspension dialed in for spirited street use. I can no longer find the Vario-Centric literature for early cars and I want to make sure I do this right.

As noted, my car has the Vario-Centric mod done to the front suspension. It has power steering. It also has the Shelby Drop, 620# Minus-One springs in front and 5-leaf mideyes in the back. It has a 1-inch front sway bar and Global West adjustable strut rods. I am running 15x7 rims with 225/50 tires which just barely fit without rubbing. When I set the car up years ago, it was my intention to eliminate the use of shims entirely. However, the shop that I paid to align the car back then said they could not align it to their satisfaction without adding shims. So it still has shims.

Also, the front end of the car sits too low. The combination of the Minus 1 springs and the Shelby drop has the front end sitting about 2-inches lower than stock. While it looks very mean, I really would prefer the font end to be about 1 inch higher. So...I'm adding Global West 1/2 inch spacers (raises the car 1 inch) when I have the front end work done. The car does not have enough caster dialed in. It wanders in truck ruts. Since it is a power steering car, I'd like to see as close to +3 degrees as I can get. The car should go down the highway without following ruts.

The car has poly bushings throughout the front end. It pops and groans going down my 450-foot dirt driveway when it goes over a pot hole. It is quiet on paved roads. I suspect that is due to those crappy front spring perches and the geometry changes brought about by the short springs and lower front end. I will have a pair of Scott Drake "HP" perches (greasable and will rotate 360 degrees easily) installed that should not bind like the poly units on the car now.

Does anyone have a copy of the 65-66 Vario Centric kit literature? I want to provide the alignment tech with a copy so he doesn't have to figure out the ins and outs associated with changing camber on the car.

Any advice you might offer would be welcome.

TIA

Back