• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vendors for Resistance Wires

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I've been in touch with a possible vendor for the ignition resistance wire now for about two months, and finally got a quote today. I was led to believe the costs would be about $0.25/foot, including the fiber wrapped outer insulation. The minimum purchase is 500 feet of wire, and the cost was $2.58/foot, or nearly $1300. Another application is the bypass resistor for the alternator light circuit, and that line has different resistance values, so I was trying to get a wire to handle both applications. The wire would not be concours correct, as a pink color is not a standard insulation color. I finally threw in the towel, and I'm pursuing another vendor whose pricing structure is 5000' (yes, a mile!), or $500, whichever is greater.

Damn. This stuff is hard to find, is not carried on the shelf at all, and must be custom made to order. And now you can begin to understand why reproduction underdash harnesses are so expensive.

Yeah, I'm tempted to yank mine out and give it to you:p

Outside of that, I'd suggest contacting Glazier's Mustang Barn. They do restorations all the time, so they have to have a supplier.

....why reproduction underdash harnesses are so expensive.

.... didn't you intend to say "why reproduction concours quality underdash harnesses....."

Painless et al aren't using these "resistance" wires are they?

Isn't the resistance wire just cutting down the voltage to 9-Volts (or so?)to the coil so it does not burn up the points?

If that's the case Randy, just apply the standard voltage drop calculation for DC currents. 12-V system will drop 25.58% or 3.07 Volts at 100' of #14-Awg wire assuming a constant load of 5 amps.

So just coil a shit ton of wire under the dash and call it good :jam

I always wondered what that ball of stuff was in the passenger floor board of Midlife. Now I know...

"70_Fastback" said:
Isn't the resistance wire just cutting down the voltage to 9-Volts (or so?)to the coil so it does not burn up the points?

If that's the case Randy, just apply the standard voltage drop calculation for DC currents. 12-V system will drop 25.58% or 3.07 Volts at 100' of #14-Awg wire assuming a constant load of 5 amps.

Ahhh yes, but there's less than 1 amp of current going to the coil, so you'll need a good 500' of wire. With that length, I can simply plug in my A/C unit to the house electrical system and run around town just fine.

An alternative is to use a power resistor, but these get very hot and have to be hard-mounted (Craig: don't get too excited now!) so the chassis can be used as a heat sink.

I got a nice e-mail back from the vendor, stating that they like my idea of piggy-backing onto another's purchase to cut my costs, and will keep me in mind.

"Midlife" said:
"70_Fastback" said:

Ahhh yes, but there's less than 1 amp of current going to the coil, so you'll need a good 500' of wire. With that length, I can simply plug in my A/C unit to the house electrical system and run around town just fine.

An alternative is to use a power resistor, but these get very hot and have to be hard-mounted (Craig: don't get too excited now!) so the chassis can be used as a heat sink.

I got a nice e-mail back from the vendor, stating that they like my idea of piggy-backing onto another's purchase to cut my costs, and will keep me in mind.

Just coil it and but it in the back; then you can brag about the junk in your trunk. :dance

Back