• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vibratory tumbler for cleaning bolts, etc.?

blu67

Have any of you used a vibratory tumbler to clean old bolts, nuts, clips, etc.? I don't have the room for a media blast cabinet (or the funds) but have a slew of bolts and screws that could use a new life. Has anyone found success using one of those and if so, what media is best? Any tips?

John (janschutz) did a thread about this a few years back. His results looked really good. I recall he went in to pretty good detail so if you search it out you may find all you are looking for. Or he might just chime in here!

I guess I should have added that where I do use an old fastener I spend a few seconds with it on the old wire wheel on my bench top grinder and clean them up that way. Have to be a little careful that parts don't get flung far and wide and you're bound to loose a bit of flesh and nail time and again but the results are really good.

A tumbler is more for polishing rather then cleaning , I think.
It won't clean the threads of a bolt. Or nut .
my cent.

I found the best method is to sandblast first, they buff it out on a wire wheel. Then chase the threads with a dye.

First wire wheel ( rough) , then sandblast (faster ) and last into the tumbler (for the finish) and maybe soak then in some kind of oil/WD40. ???

Back