• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Welding in quarter panels?

34isgreat

What is the best method to weld in my quarter patch panels? Mig, Tig? Concerned about the metal warping under the heat?

if you do a full quarter you can spot weld like the factory. Just drill holes in the top panel and use a MIG to weld thru the hole. If it is a skin, you will have a seam. You can use a MIG but do small tack welds in alternating areas to prevent heat build-up. I haven't TIG welded so I can't speak to that. I MIG welded skins on my 67 20 years ago before full quarters were available. I will be doing quarters on the Drag car 67 and have one full quarter for the drivers side. I may do a skin on the passenger side.

I plan to do skins. Looking back I wish I had bought full qtrs. Heat warpage is a major concern, but as long as you don't stay in one spot to long I think it should be minimal.
Bill

Skin them on the top and you won't have any warpage. Trick is blow each weld cool with your blower. Craig do you need a perfect Ford right qtr panel? Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
Skin them on the top and you won't have any warpage. Trick is blow each weld cool with your blower. Craig do you need a perfect Ford right qtr panel? Rich.

What are you talking about here? Also, any pics of where you skin them at on a fastback?
Bill

"mustangstofear" said:
Yes what do you mean?

"mustangstofear" said:
Craig do you need a perfect Ford right qtr panel? Rich.
Rich,
Yes I do!!!

and here is what he means... get a tool to make the bead and weld the panel on the overlap. This is how I did my coupe many years ago too (they are Rich's pics)
DSC07552.jpg

DSC07554.jpg

DSC07556.jpg

DSC07557.jpg

DSC07558.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That approach won't work with a fastback that I'm aware of. The top edges aren't shaped the same as the skin.
Bill

here are some pics of my buddy's 65 fastback, not exactly the same but the principle is the same in the front part of the quarter
index.php

index.php

index.php

I could tell you but then I would have to shoo... oh nevermind. they are on another forum. I'll let Rich post a link if he wants. I will post a few more of the pics.
DSC04720-2.jpg

DSC06946.jpg

DSC07140.jpg

DSC07172.jpg

DSC07546.jpg

DSC07547.jpg

DSC07546.jpg

Rich, who is the vendor you got this qtr skin from. I went out and looked at mine. I see what the problem is... the down hill turn at the front begins to quick and levels off too quick not matching the body line of my fastback. I wonder why this is with my skin?
Bill

That was a full Dynacorn panel that I cut down, it is a shame that is what you have to do to get qtr skin. Craig go ahead and post the link so they can see the full qtr going on the left side. I will have more than DOUBLE the time doing the full qtr as apposed to the skin. Rich.

Guys this is great info and is a big help to me, two more quick questions...
1. Do I weld it solid or is it OK to just tack it every inch or so, maybe a dumb question but I want to expose the top edge or seam to the least amount of heat I can. This edge is dead center the quarter panel and all defects will show.
2. Can I use a wet rag to help reduce the heat as we weld?

Sorry to be so dumb but I would rater ask not than not ask and wish I had.

Where do you plan to cut and weld it. Closer to the belt line will have more strength and less likely to warp. Also, you will need to weld the seam in completely. Then grind the weld flat to leave a seamless finish of the joining of the two panels.
I have thought about cutting the old panel an inch below the beltline, then flanging the remaining lip and installing my qtr over that lip. Problem with that is a lap joint is more prone to draw moisture and rust then a butt-welded joint.
Bill

Doing a lower quarter patch panel not a full quarter. My seam will be in the center of the quarter running from near the top of the wheel opening back to the tail light panel. With no bends in this flat area is why I am concerned about warpage. I do have a flanging tool, if I flang and use something to try and keep it cool I think is my best hope. What do you think Bill? Again thanks for your help.

I'm still trying to make that determination myself. I think the butt weld will be much cleaner though.
Bill

"mustangstofear" said:
If you butt weld with a mig by the time you weld it you won't have as strong of weld, if you tig weld it you will be fine. Here is the link http://eleanorinspired1967mustangfastback.yuku.com/topic/2258/t/Mustangs-To-Fear-Build-Thread.html You can also go to our Facebook page to see our other projects. You don't have to have a Facebook account to see it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mustangs-To-Fear/258105083644

I got to disagree that a good butt weld using MIG is not strong. It has been demonstrated over and over again using 19 gauge steel (the typical thickness of Mustang sheet metal) that once welded, the break occurs not at the weld but elsewhere. TIG welding may allow you to butt weld cooler and with more precision, but there are many hobbyists that simply don't have the skills or funding to afford TIG.

Back