• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What do you use to weld on?

Along with a nice place to weld, there are three tools that I don't ever weld without.

The first two are for the welding gun and are tools I designed for welding use.

The clipper helps me by having a solid place to cut the wire. It saves time by not having to look around for the clippers or having to pick them up off the floor. If you put the tip up to it at an angle, it will cut the wire off at an angle, leaving a super sharp point to start your weld with.

The screw looking deal is the end of a 1/2" wood bolt that I cut off and welded to a small plate. I use that to clean out the slag from inside the gun. Works great and is super easy to use.

Both of these tools are screwed to the wall by my welding station.

169-030713114638.jpeg

The third one is to clean up the metal after the mig welding. It hits the metal hard enough to remove all but the larges dots and leaves a clean surface. It will also clean metal prior to welding. The are not cheap @ $11ea.

169-030713114712.jpeg

Cleaned and uncleaned with the Mulit - Stripper ( sounds like a good name for a bar )

169-030713114742.jpeg

I want to see some pics of what your talking about John with your 5 inch vise then the 10x10 sheet. Please.

Bill

This is what I put in the vise to weld on. I started out with just the little plate and then made it bigger. Just some scrap steel made into a useful tool.

169-030713131036.jpeg

BOTTOM
169-030713131105.jpeg

"Opentracker" said:
Along with a nice place to weld, there are three tools that I don't ever weld without.

The first two are for the welding gun and are tools I designed for welding use.

The clipper helps me by having a solid place to cut the wire. It saves time by not having to look around for the clippers or having to pick them up off the floor. If you put the tip up to it at an angle, it will cut the wire off at an angle, leaving a super sharp point to start your weld with.

The screw looking deal is the end of a 1/2" wood bolt that I cut off and welded to a small plate. I use that to clean out the slag from inside the gun. Works great and is super easy to use.

Both of these tools are screwed to the wall by my welding station.

169-030713114638.jpeg

The third one is to clean up the metal after the mig welding. It hits the metal hard enough to remove all but the larges dots and leaves a clean surface. It will also clean metal prior to welding. The are not cheap @ $11ea.

169-030713114712.jpeg

Cleaned and uncleaned with the Mulit - Stripper ( sounds like a good name for a bar )

169-030713114742.jpeg

Hey, I have the first two tools myself. Some real nice guy from Carmel Valley gave them to me. The Slag remover tool is the best. Just used it last night.

Johnny,
Note that I installed my clippers on a magnet base. Very handy indeed.
qunuzena.jpg

Tapayakin' from my iphone

That's what happens when your clipper stand is magnetically grounded to welder via table top metal plate, etc. You know the setup. Also doesn't help also when one might be a little premature trigger'ish.

So I'm in the home stretch of the build as I cut and welded the base and shelf. I should have the top done along with adding the vise. Only thing left is the plasma side of the top which I hoping to be completed by tomorrow morning. What do you guys use to finish the steel tops? I think if I don't apply something to the steel top, it is going to rust.

So I am planning in having the top be adjustable so it will be able to go up to 42" at its max height and down to 30". As of yesterday:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
My steel is all raw. The only rust I get is from the bottom of my coffee cup and I take that off with a wire wheel.

If you put anything on it ( other than oil ), the part won't ground to it and you'll have to use the ground clip.

You guys are too fancy. Course I really shouldn't say anything since I have burnt off all the hair on my forearms. Even lost a little in the arm pit too. Seems everything I weld something it's always looking down at me. :dun

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Course I really shouldn't say anything since I have burnt off all the hair on my forearms. Even lost a little in the arm pit too. . :dun

Hmmmmm, Your way of manscaping?

"copasspupil" said:
I think if I don't apply something to the steel top, it is going to rust.

As John says, bare steel and chase it with a wire wheel in your right angle grinder periodically. Go back up to my pic and you can see how mine looks.

Got the top and fixed it to the legs that raise and lower now. Pleased how it turned out just need to make the plasma cutting side and attach the wheels and its done

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Back