• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What should i look out for when buying used heads: updated need some advice!!!!

pnandy

I'm going out this weekend to take alook at a couple used gt40 heads i've already found all the gt40 casting numbers so i can compare to make sure they are gt40 heads.

Is there anything i should look out for before i buy the heads?

thanks for help in advance

Re: What should i look out for when buying used heads

Cracks............ Take a straight edge with you and run it across the hed and make sure they are not warped.

whats a good price for low mileage gt40 heads that are in good condition. Found out the place thats selling them is a machine shop

Machine shop is a good thing..... I have no idea on cost, I'd check a few sites and get an average price, check a few big city craigslist, ebay, 5.0 forums, etc.

picked up the heads yesterday got there right as he started taking them off. engine had about 50k on it thought about just buying the whole engine for awhile because of the overall condition it was in was very good.

im going to switch out my cam to when i swap the heads what would be a good comp cam to go with these heads im looking for one with a fairly aggressive sounding idle. should i get new lifters to if so which ones.

I have the stock gt40 rockers would it be a good idea to switch these if so what do you guys recommend

thanks for the help in advance

car spces motor 84 302 5.0l carbed 4 speed 9inch 3.50

Why are you switching the cam, looking for more? For less? Seems like the e303 cam is very polular. Find out what you want from a cam and then do some research. Sounds like your building a fairly modern 5.0, I'd check around some of the late model boards and see what everyone is building using the pieces you have, late model block and heads, etc.

Re: What should i look out for when buying used heads: updated need some advice

Hmm....that's a pretty high winding cam already, although lift isn't fantastic. But then, I don't know what kind of lift you can run with your bottom end. Do the '84 pistons have valve reliefs?

Also, don't choose a cam based on sound. You'll just end up with an unstreetable mess of a motor. The cam needs to be matched to the heads, drivetrain (gearing), and your driving style. Fill us in on the latter two and I'll see what I can come up with for a cam recommendation.

ok so ill give my car specs so you can help with the cam selection
thanks
mainly street driven fairly aggressive
9inch rear with 3.50s
4 speed

should i replace the rockers and lifters as well when i do this?

You have to replace the lifters, it's not an option. Roller rockers (or at least roller-tip) would be a good idea, but not required.

I'll poke around tonight when I get home and see what cam I can come up with for you.

sounds good i figured the lifters and what not roller rockers sounds good to anything that gets it ready so i can send it off to get the a/c and paint and body done they will be changing all front accessories too. to fox body style setup with march brackets and pulleys it will be this kit in the link. ima do the cam lifters and heads etc and then have the installers replace the front acc to fox body wp alt and then used the march brackets
http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic- ... ngine.html
the kit comes with alt and a/c bracket with tension and comes with all the pulleys.
so all i need to get is fox body alt water pump need new timing coverto right? and then when i order hte a/c kit i need a 505 or 508 a/c comppressor.

i think thats all i need if you can think of anything else please tell me.
so once my uncle can finish the cam lifters and heads its off to paint hopefully by mid may and then hopefully get it back mid june with everything done
please provide links to the selections if you can thanks
-patrick

Back