• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What size battery for 65 Mustang?

"DEL65" said:
I'm having a case of C.R.S. What's the Group # for a 65 battery? Thanks a bunch.

C.R.S? Chevy's Really Suck? Not sure I see your problem there or why that has to do with battery size...

IIRC it's a group 24 but don't take my work for it, last time I needed a battery I just matched up the position of the terminals & measurements to what was available.

"DEL65" said:
I'm having a case of C.R.S. What's the Group # for a 65 battery? Thanks a bunch.

It's a 24 F. make sure that the terminals are in the right place. I believe excide still makes one with the proper hold down lips.

There are two sizes of batteries: 24F-50 and -60 and the 27F. The 27F was the HD battery, used mostly in BB engines starting in 1967. The 24F-60 is the heavier duty version of the 24F and is a bit bigger.

There is conflicting information out there but 67 390 didn't get the 27f battery. It also got the 24f as I believe did 68 it was 69 that got the 27f.

I've been doing a little research on this lately. Just looking at pictures on the interweb and Exide does appear to have the proper battery with the hold downs. I haven't figured out yet where I could get one though. The Exide website says that Camping World is a dealer, but somehow I don't think they stock batteries for '65 Mustangs.

Again, just looking at pictures, but I also found a couple at Pep Boys that looked right. One was a Bosch battery and the other appeared to be a Pep Boys house brand.

Walmart carries the battery. The mid 90's Honda Accords used the same battery.

The most prevalent size currently available (and the only reproduction of the original Autolite), is a group 24F. They were not the standard battery for 65/66. The standard battery was actually a smaller group 22F. As previously stated, if the car was equipped with the heavy duty battery option, then you got the 24F. It was also included with options such as A/C. Additionally the larger battery (again, 24F), also received the higher amperage alternator and a different regulator.

As most folks know there are two different reproduction battery hold downs available. The short one is for the group 24F and the long one is for a group 22F (as the battery is physically smaller). Keeping in mind that the group 24F is the only repop battery size of the two, ironically, the repop hold down for it is not "correct". There is a small locating tab that fits in the notch on the lip of the battery that is missing. Although no group 22F batteries are being reproduced, the hold down for it IS correct with the locating tab present! Talk about doing things backwards!

"PraireBronze" said:
Can't tell from the pictures on the Walmart website if it has the tabs or not. Anybody know?

When I was shopping for one a year or two ago they had the group 24F but with out the lip.

Back