• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whats it worth?

Shaun

I'm planning a new motor to replace my 289. No idea what this 289 is worth. Any ideas?

289 block .040" over
Rebuilt with new cast pistons, bearings, rings end of Summer 2011 with maybe 15 hours on it since then. Dynoed at 300rwhp this Summer.
Ported 289 heads, valve job 2 summers ago.
Weiand Stealth intake
Edelbrock 600cfm 1406 carb
New alum. timing cover and high flow milodon water pump
Comp Cams Magnum 270 cam
Distributor with Petronix included but not shown in pic.

I will remove and keep the fuel pump, pan and valve covers from this picture:

motor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really know, but you might want to send Mark a PM and ask him what a good running, track proven, with a good driver, 289 would be worth to him. I hear he is always been looking for one. :))

I just pulled up and sold the 289 out of my white mustang for $800 soup to nuts on Sunday

I would pay $800 for yours given that it doesn't have a oil pan, valve covers or fuel pump.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Don't really know, but you might want to send Mark a PM and ask him what a good running, track proven, with a good driver, 289 would be worth to him. I hear he is always been looking for one. :))

Funny man!

Why are you getting rid of the 289? Doesn't look like parts are sticking out of places they don't belong! I have no interest in in since it's already bored to .040". I'd guess it's worth around $1,500 to the right buyer (not me). I just put together a street motor (308) and only spent $1,800. Compared to my $5K screamer that I blew up in April, that's a helluva deal.

"silverblueBP" said:
Funny man!

Why are you getting rid of the 289? Doesn't look like parts are sticking out of places they don't belong! I have no interest in in since it's already bored to .040". I'd guess it's worth around $1,500 to the right buyer (not me). I just put together a street motor (308) and only spent $1,800. Compared to my $5K screamer that I blew up in April, that's a helluva deal.

It runs great, I just want more power!

"Shaun" said:
It runs great, I just want more power!

Your timing is horrible. A month to 6 months ago, I would have bought it from you.

"silverblueBP" said:
Your timing is horrible. A month to 6 months ago, I would have bought it from you.
Uh, Christmas is just a month away. Buy it for yourself and gift yours to somebody...oh I don't know...like me, maybe?

"Horseplay" said:
Uh, Christmas is just a month away. Buy it for yourself and gift yours to somebody...oh I don't know...like me, maybe?

And then you woke up from your fantasy.

I agree with Mark, it's worth $1,500 or more to the right buyer. A good 289 is a nice find for someone who doesn't want to build one. The crate motors are over twice that so it should be a quick sell.

Having no holes in the side is a plus :sarc

I'd be interested but the freight charges to socal would be staggering.

"opentrackerSteve" said:
I'd be interested but the freight charges to socal would be staggering.

Road trip Steve! Lots of fellow fixers on the way North.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new motor and have figured out what I do and don't need. The 289 needs a new home.

I'm selling it complete less valve covers (I welded in AN bungs for a crankcase system and need that on the new motor), oil pan and water pump.

Here is what I can't re-use on the new motor from top down and is installed and working on the 289:

Edelbrock carb 600cfm elec choke.
Weiand Stealth intake
Dist. coil and Petronix with wires and plugs
Ported 289 heads, rockers, pushrods etc.
Shortblock was put together last Summer with fresh rings, freeze plugs, pistons, bearings, it only needed a hone. Doesn't blow any oil.
Comp Cams Magnum 270 hydraulic cam, lifters, springs etc.
New alum. timing cover.
Edelbrock mech. fuel pump.
Flywheel and RAM clutch
I'll even throw in a well used set of Hooker competition headers.

I want $1500 for the entire lump.

Makes 300rwhp at 6000rpm. Its a good little runner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UBG0aH-dA

I also have:

302 Mexican block freshly machined for a 331 rotating assembly - $525
AFR185 58cc heads - $925
Holley 650 Double Pumper - (few runs on a motor on the dyno, was too small so replaced - barely uesed) $275

Back