• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wheel Bearings/races and seals

Looking online at o'reilly, autozone, rock auto etc., I see that their are lots of choices to replace the inner and outer bearings front and back. I have never messed with bearings before, so some input on which ones are good and which ones should be avoided would be appreciated. I know when I had roller blades back in the day, their were big differences in bearings and how far you would roll with one bearing compared to another. So if that applies to bearings for my car, it would be nice to get the bearings that keep you rolling further.

I've always had good luck with Timken; SKF and National are other brands I consider when buying. You could drive yourself insane trying to figure out which are still made is USA but they may be stamped such. Have the parts monkey pull the number you want from their shelf and look at the engraving.

Get good rear bearings/seals (National) as this should be a 1 time replace since the originals last 40yrs. However the rear bearings are one of the things I change in the first 6mos. of ownership, if they dry out you can ruin the bearing seat/diff tube when they lock up or overheat. I had bought all the parts to do the change after I got my '67 and discovered I couldn't roll the car easily in 'N', one of them was begining to drag....
Jon

How do I know which bearing size to use for an 8inch rear end? Rock auto has several different sizes. Do I just need to pull the bearings out and figure out which ones I need?

I've done 2 8" and a 9" (small bearing, most common) and they've always been RW207CCRA
67rearaxlebearingparts.jpg

You won't get the bearings off/on w/o a press, I take them to a local shop and they usually do it for ~$30. I usually cut the retaining ring off first to make it easy.

With seal #1932 I believe, here's the paper gaskets if you need those also:
67rearaxlebackingplategaskets.jpg

Get a seal puller if you don't have one, they make it easy:
67rearaxlesealpuller.jpg

Jon

For the front bearings, I'd say any brand is OK. But for the front seals, Timken is the best. For the rear, try to get the Federal/Mogul bearings Jonk67 showed in his post. I've done axle bearings a few times and the Federal/Mogul bearings seem to be the strongest design.

Robert

Thank you for the link craig. That is exactly what I need. I had went on their website before but I didn't see the fitment guide. Must have been tired lol. This is perfect.

Back