• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wheel measurement tools.

68EFIvert

Has anyone ever used the Wheel Fit kit for checking tire sizes? Look like a great idea but pretty expensive for a one time use. I am about to start a new Volvo project and need some wheels and tires. I want a big as I can get (in the back at least) but don't want to screw up on the wheel/tire combo since they will likely have to be made. I know that Percy's makes a plastic thing with a wire. I just don't know how accurate those are. What do you guys do to figure out custom wheel spacing when you don't want to spend a couple grand on wheels just to find out they won't work.

http://wheelworksinc.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=148

http://www.percyshp.com/WheelRite.htmls

Would there be an interest in renting a tool like the wheel works kit to help lower the initial cost?

S or T rents the Percy's tool but not the wheel works kit that uses the actual tire you want, not a cheesy wire you estimate the tire information.

i made my own out of scrap tubing & flat stock. it will work with up to 20" wheels up to 12" wide. have used it on three vehicles so far & everything came out perfect when i ordered wheels/tires. right now i only have the 5x4.5 ford lug pattern drilled but have the 5x4.75 chevy pattern center punched & ready to drill. if the lug pattern will work for you, i'll be glad to lend it to you.

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

That is a cool tool you made there. I don't need one now. I still have a few months before I am ready for one. I appreciate your offer and may take you up on it in a few months.

In the meantime I think I may try to make one. It would be a fun project. I like the idea of having one that you can mount a tire on as well. It may be time to buy a tire and get to work.

if you decide to make one, let me know if i can can help. i can take mine apart & get closeup pics of how it works. all you would have to do is copycat the pieces for the opposite sides & add tabs to the ends to hold the tire.

I started working on it this evening. I had an old piece of 1/4" plate I am using for the wheel mount. I got the hub hole cut out and the bolt pattern drilled. I'll work on the rest this weekend.

I am still thinking of how I want to mount the tire to the gauge while still being able to easily adjust the backspace and locking in the wheel width.

I'll post some pics when I get it all figured out. I may need to get an old unmounted tire to tie it all together.

i'll get those pics for you tomorrow. as far as mounting the tire, if you look at how mine is set up in the second pic, i have two pieces of flat stock with slots milled in them. a bolt attaches them to the stem & you simply loosen the bolt to slide the seperate pieces together or apart to set wheel width , then slide them together in or out to get the offset measurement. if it were me, i would add a little to the outer ends of the flat stock & bend them up in a 90 deg. bend to hold the tire. instead of a bolt, you could use thumbscrews to loosen & slide the assembly in or out for offset then tighten & check clearances. i have some refinements i plan to do on mine when time permits to make it more user friendly.

I have the Percy's wheel rite tool and I've had excellent success with it. It really isn't that "cheesy" for if you spend the time in bending the wire to match the tire you are interested in using. Just go to your local tire store and ask to see one of the tires and bend the wire. Very easy.

Almost done with the tool. I have it all done except drilling holes on one of the arms that holds the tire. It turned out pretty slick. I'll post some pictures when I get done. I think I am into this thing $10 at the most. Had some of the steel but I had to buy some flat stock and angle iron. I also needed a couple 1/4" bolts and wing nuts. I am happy with the end result.

Here are the pics. The tire is not held in there quite right enough so it needs a little more work. It will work great when i am done with it though.

It will work on 15-20" diameter wheels and 6-12.5" wide.

43a09787-e902-4df9.jpg

43a09787-e91c-9d56.jpg

Back