• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wheels studs, how long are you using with aftermarket wheels?

I'm using late model Mustang wheels on my '66 that require the use of spacer/adapters, but the wheels stud length is normal on both the axle flange and the adapters..... 1.25"?

Was just curious, saw a couple cars at a car show that had some really long wheel lugs, i was thinking maybe they had swapped to the really long studs like you see on race cars.

Most likely had swapped them. For the street, all you need is enough length so there is about 1/2" of thread past the actual nut.

The rule of thumb is to have exposed threads equal to the diameter of the bolt.

Pete/Randy, both of your replies would seem to say one is using a typical "lug nut", but on aftermarket wheels with a aftermarket type lugnut, how long a wheel stud would one use?

aew-acl8894_w_m.jpg

In this case, you want to engage enough threads to equal the diameter of the bolt.

Yeah, my new aftermarket wheels don't leave much of the lug exposed, and the lugnuts aren't that type (That go beyond the mounting flange).. I have to double check if I have enough thread exposed.

Back