• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Where do I put the prop valve? Lines?

DEL65

Of The Morons
I ordered parts for the CSRP front disc conversion and the kit should arrive next week. Any tips or insight to assist with my install?

I'll fab the brake lines. I plan on getting some pre-flared 3/8" lines from Napa and bending them to fit. The store bought lines should work, right?

Of course the prop valve will be installed near the master cylinder. Is there an optimal place in that corner of the engine compartment? Seems like a tight place to fit a drill.

Not the best pics, but here's a couple of Red's setup. Just located the prop valve on the driver rear inner fender next to the MC.

^^^^ That's where I put the one on my Coupe.

On SWMBO's Vert, I put it under the floor in the front where it angles down. The lines were already there and I just cut and flared existing. Not the best place to make adjustments...

Just located the prop valve on the driver rear inner fender next to the MC.

Craigs picture's depict the typical prop valve mounting location. If you're accomplishing the install on a partially disassembled car... and the hood hinges are removed.... mock up a hood hinge to ensure there are no interference issues with the exact placement of the new prop valve.

With this kit using manual brakes, the prop. valve is not needed. The only time it will come into use is if you want to completely close off the rear for a burnout. I'm basing this on my '65 running the swap kit with manual brakes all the way around.

Thanks for the pics and info.

I wasn't aware a prop. valve was not needed. I'll probably install it for the option of fine-tuning the front/rear brakes.

My car is assembled so I'll work around the hood hinge.

Based on cmayna's pics, it looks like I reuse my orig distribution block and plug the line to the rear brakes. Rear brake line is run thru the prop valve.

Right?

I am not sure what you mean by plug the line to the rear brakes but, in my car's stock rear drum front disc set up the rear brake line goes from the distribution block - proportioning valve - then rear brakes.

I am not sure about the comment regarding the prop valve only being used when you want to do a burn out. I think on my set up that the proportioning valve's main purpose is so that you are able make an adjustment so that the front brakes will lock before the rear brakes.

"GTchris" said:
I am not sure about the comment regarding the prop valve only being used when you want to do a burn out. I think on my set up that the proportioning valve's main purpose is so that you are able make an adjustment so that the front brakes will lock before the rear brakes.

What I meant was the rears will never lock. I'm running a manual setup and with the pv fully open you can't lock the rears. Not a whole lot of adjusting needed. Since it is installed the only benefit that I see, for me, is lessening the rear if I want to raise a little sand. Not the purpose of the valve by any means but is about the only purpose it will serve me. Hope that makes more sense.

"blue65coupe" said:
What I meant was the rears will never lock. I'm running a manual setup and with the pv fully open you can't lock the rears. Not a whole lot of adjusting needed. Since it is installed the only benefit that I see, for me, is lessening the rear if I want to raise a little sand. Not the purpose of the valve by any means but is about the only purpose it will serve me. Hope that makes more sense.

That does make more sense, as I don't think the manual brake cars came with proportioning valves.

"DEL65" said:
Based on cmayna's pics, it looks like I reuse my orig distribution block and plug the line to the rear brakes. Rear brake line is run thru the prop valve.

Right?

Yes, prop valve controls how the amount of brake fluid goes to the rear brakes.

Back