• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Where is Oil Leakin From?

DEL65

Of The Morons
Hi, I've got about 70 miles on the new motor and have been driving it regularly for the past couple of weeks. Runs great and and very fun to drive.

But, after I started driving longer distances and running thru the gears, I developed a leak at the back of the motor. Oil is slowly dripping down behind the rear of the pan and ifo the block plate. Enough to leave a about a 3" diameter spot overnight, or tiny 25 cent-sized spots when parked for 10-15 min or idling after driving for a while.

The flywheel is dry and no oil on the bell housing. It only leaks after driving and does not leak when idling or revving in neutral. I have a high volume oil pump that has about 30-40 psi at idle and 60 when driving. 10-40 oil.

To remedy, my engine builder replaced the 4-piece cork oil pan gasket with the 1-piece rubber one. He checked the rear main seal and it looked ok to him. He also thought that since the motor is new and still breaking in, excess pressure may be building up in the crankcase. He ran a hose from the left front breather back into the air cleaner to try to equalize the pressure. PCV on right valve cover to back of carb has always been hooked up. Still leaking; no more no less.

Questions: Is it possible the baffles in the tall Cobra valve covers are too restrictive and causing a pressure buildup? Should I change out the valve covers to see if that would make a difference? The current vacuum pressure is unknown.

Meanwhile, one of his mechanics theorizes the main seal was installed backwards, and they are thinking of replacing it. (I was a little irritated that they did not do it when they were had dropped the oil pan in the first place, but whatever.)

Are there any other sources for a what appears to be a non-pressure leak at the back of the block? Anything else we should consider? Thanks.

Start at the top rear of the engine, Look at the intakes vally seal and block landing for oil.
Sometimes with new oil being so clear its hard to see. One tip is take some flour and dust it on the rear of the eng/bell.
It will stick to any trace oil and lead back to where it is coming from. If it does not show oil, its easy to wash off with a hose.

I got a leak from the rear of the valve covers when I installed the AFR-165 heads. I originally used the rubber with steel core gaskets, but the they didn't work well. I switched to the Felpro 1645 laminated cork gaskets and that solved that problem. I still have a leak somewhere else, but the VC gaskets made a world of difference.

If it turns out to be the valve cover gaskets, a trick I learned is to use only cork gaskets and to glue the upper portion to the valve covers and use no sealant between the head and cover. Glueing the gasket in place allows it to do its job and compress without moving. You can take these covers off as many times as you like and they will still seal. I learned this trick from a buddy of my dad's who used to run around Cleveland, OH with this guy named Joe Hrudka who opened this little company called Mr. Gasket... they used to do this back in the 50's before Joe's dad gave him the idea to make rubber gaskets...

That is what I do with my vintage rigs as well. Cork gaskets glued only to the valve covers.

UPDATE: Where is Oil Leakin From?

2 days ago my engine builder dropped the oil pan and changed out the rear main seal. It was leaking at the 6:00 area between the cap and seal. He thought the seal may have been nicked a little.

I hope this does the trick; fingers crossed. If it still leaks he said Plan B would be to insert a rope-style graphite seal.

Re: UPDATE: Where is Oil Leakin From?

"DEL65" said:
2 days ago my engine builder dropped the oil pan and changed out the rear main seal. It was leaking at the 6:00 area between the cap and seal. He thought the seal may have been nicked a little.

I hope this does the trick; fingers crossed. If it still leaks he said Plan B would be to insert a rope-style graphite seal.

That was nice of him. I guess you didn't have a late model block.

Robert

Back