• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Where to Mount/How to Quiet Electric Fuel Pump?

68stang289

On my 70 the previous owner ran an electric fuel pump. He originally had it just bolted to the rear taillight panel (which the bolts were hidden by the mach 1 honeycomb trim). It was loud, it vibrated your head when you flipped it on and it just looked bad. I have filled in those holes since I am going without the honeycomb but now I don't know where I should mount it? Where has everyone else mounted their electric fuel pumps?

As far as quieting it down, I obviously think just moving it from the rear taillight panel will make a big difference as well as using those rubber insulator grommets. I do understand that they are noisy by default so I'm not looking for dead silence, just any tips for quieting it down a little bit.

The two I have had were mounted by the sending unit and used rubber pads for mounting on. The current pump in the '66 is a bit noisy but I have not looked into more rubber to cushion the vibration.

"Shaun" said:
Is it a Holley? They are loud mounted anywhere. I would throw it away and buy a Mallory.

Yup, it is a Holley. Unfortunately, I do not have the funds right now to ditch it and pick up something new.

I have an Aeromotive pump that I mounted on a bracket I fabricated. THe pump is secured to the bracket with rubber mounts.
IMGP2547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Holley 'Blue' pump on my '66 and it made a lot of noise. The only way to quiet it is to crank the stereo up or run straight exhaust pipes. Holley makes a new 'Black' pump that's supposed to be quieter, maybe someone here knows how quiet it is. . .

Robert

Well I guess it is just one of those things I am going to have to live with then. That just means a little louder exhaust then, haha.

I have a Holley blue mounted on a bracket I made similar to 68EFIvert. I wrapped it in foam tape but it is still noisy.

Back