• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which brand clutch cable?

stangg

The sheathing on Ford Motorsport cable I installed 4500 miles ago blew out tonight while driving to one of the biggest cars shows in our area...

It seems most folks prefer Ford OEM, but this one was made in Taiwan, so I don't think I'll go with that again.

Steeda and Hays are the two I'm considering. The Hays one is blue which leads me to beleive they are not re-packaging some generic clutch cable like FMS and summit most likely do...

Has anyone had any long term success with either the Steeda or Hays clutch cables, or maybe something better?

FYI, Here's what the failed FMS cable looks like... The picture is looking forward, where the cable comes out of the bellhousing... The sheathing split from here to about the halfway point of the cable. There is a fitting crimped on to the cable that prevented it from going any further.

I think the external sheathing blew apart first, then when I pressed the clutch in a second time. The sheathing wasn't there to provide any support for the cable, so the cable just kinked up since it couldn't overcome the forces between the pedal pressure and the pressure plate.

fms_clutchcable_fail.jpg

I have a Ford racing cable in my car. Maybe you should try a 96-04 cable it's a few inches longer. Steeda cable looks really nice, haven't looked into the Hayes yet. I'm going to buy an extra just in case to have while at MITM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back